Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Coolant Flush

By Bull6791, October 3, 2014

See every reply in these pages:

That DIY looks pretty solid - good tips on there as well.

As for running the car - you want to heat it up enough to cycle the coolant through the system. If the system isn't hot enough, the thermostat won't open and it would circulate the system. Sometimes you can see the coolant move by leaving the radiator cap off and observing when it is moving. I don't recommend that some DIYers, as in some cases, the coolant may shoot out - those situations, better to leave the cap installed, warm it up to full temp, let if completely cool - drain and repeat.

If you were pretty conservative with getting up to temp - could be a several hour process to run enough distilled water to completely flush out the system. But since you don't have to do this very often - not too bad of an experience. There are tricks to speed this up - many of them are touched upon in the DIY write up.

Ok. I will leave radiator cap on for saftey. As for running the car do you need the HEATER ON HIGH when you warn it up to full tempeture.

That is the only thing I do not know. I know you fill with distilled water. Then completely warm car up. Then let it completely cool down and then drain water out. Then repeat.

That is where my confusion was heater on high or heater off when completely warming car up.

Thank Frank

Reason for running the heater on HIGH lets the coolant circulate through the heater core. If the heater wasn't turned on, you'd still have the old coolant left in the core.

Fish

I have 94k on corolla. Since the TURBO POWER EXTENDED ORANGE fluid my former mechanic put in there is not that great of a fluid for my car, I decided to do flush at 100k.

When I do flush I will put TOYOTA RED COOLANT IN.

If I do not know I ask. I did not know that that was reason for running heater on high.

THANK

FRANK

There's also a block drain petcock on the back, below exhaust manifold, closer to driver's side... It's loosened with a 10mm socket.

Coolant flush procedure: TOYOTA RED. you do your normal flush out coolant. Fill with distiller water. Flush system and repeat several more times.

Here my question. TOYOTA PINK. PRE MIXED. How do you get rest of water out. Is it buy cracking rear block drain and pulling the lower radiator hose off.

Or do you do something else.

Thanks Frank.

Drain radiator and engine block, flush with distilled water, then add 4 quarts of concentrated un-distilled coolant, and top off with distilled water... You cannot add pre-mixed coolant after flushing with water, as you can't drain enough of it out.

Don't forget to drain and flush expansion tank (reservoir) as well. Easily done by disconnecting its hose at the pressure cap, and running it down.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-asian-concentrate-coolant-3-78-l-0293070p.html#/en/pdp/motomaster-asian-concentrate-coolant-3-78-l-0293070p.html#.VDBQnIx3sR4

The premixed coolant was designed for a drain and refill - not a flush procedure. If the area you live in doesn't get very cold or very hot - might get away with running a lower concentration of coolant to distilled water - but has some risks involved.

Best to do a flush, refill with Toyota Red + distilled water. After than - you can do a drain and refill with pink premixed, do a shorter run (30K miles or so), drain and refill with pink again on the normal schedule after that.

I have a question: i do a flush and get the turbo power extended orange out of my car.

I put in Toyota Red.

Then for the rest of my cars life I only have to do drain and refills.

After Toyota red next time I do a drain and refill with Toyota pink

Can you mix TOYOTA RED AND PINK. I DO NOT KNOW.

Would it be better to do flush and get turbo power out and put Toyota pink in that way I never have to do flush again because pink is made for drain and refill.

Frank

Couple of ways to do this:

Do a drain and refill - put Toyota Pink in there, repeat several times over a shorted period of time (depends on how far you drive, how often) - eventually, you'll dilute what was in there and have mostly Toyota Pink coolant and additives in there.

Do a full flush with distilled water, add Toyota Pink or Red. If using Red, figure out the total cooling system capacity - divide it by 2, that is how much Toyota Red to add. The rest will be distilled water. If using Pink, again figure out the total capacity, drain as much of the distilled water that is in there, add Pink, note the concentration. Do a series of drain and refills after the system has been run for some time, refill with Pink - eventually, you'll get the concentration to a point that is "good enough".

Also, if you use Red, you can do a drain and refill later - just use Red + distilled water, no need to flush.

With Pink, once you get the concentration up - you can just drain and refill with Pink, no need to flush.

You can also do a flush with Toyota Pink - similar to flushing with distilled water, but you don't have to worry about concentration at the end, as it will be pretty much set. Might cost more.

You can leave the Turbo Power Extended coolant in there and stock up on that coolant. Don't have to worry about a flush, just drain and refill. Just keep an eye on the water pump and replace it when a seal goes bad on it.

Pink and Red are technically not 100% compatible, as there is slightly different chemistry involved - but it doesn't stop the dealerships from adding Pink to Red coolant (Pink is backwards compatible, Red is technically cannot be used forward - but owners still use it). From what I gather from my dealer - eventually they will phase out Toyota Red and only stock Pink premixed coolant. How soon is anyone's guess. That point - someone will eventually figure out how to do it more efficiently with Pink coolant.

Is this ok: do flush and flush out turbo power.

Add Toyota pink. It is a 50/50 mix.

After you do flush and add Toyota pink from that PIONT out just keep doing drain and refill. No need for flush.

Can you do it this way. Just asking

Frank.

If you flush with distilled water your mix might be weak. If you fill back up with pink ..50/50.

You see. There will be residual water left in the system. So it will not be 50/50 any more.

Now Fish said drain and refill. That will get you close enough to 50/50 mix.

But if you flush with pink 50 50 ......you'll have only residual pink 50 50 in there.

I have a question: at 60,000 my coolant system was drained and flushed. Mechanic put in TURBO POWER EXTENDED LIFE COOLANT ORANGE.

I wAnt to use same coolant I do not have to do flush because I am not changing coolant.

I only have to drain and refill because using same coolant.

Question: when do you drain TURBO POWER

At 30k or 60k.

Frank.

5 years or 250000 km.

Members

TURBO POWER EXTENDED LIFE COOLANT ORANGE say it is JAPANESE STANDARD JIS K2234 approved so it should be compatible with Toyota red and pink coolant.

Like I said at 60,000 mechanic did a coolant flush and put in TURBO POWER EXTENDED LIFE COOLANT ORANGE.

I am putting same coolant in so I only have to do drain and refill.

Just do not know drain and refill: every 30,000 or every 60,000

Any info would be great

Frank.

If you are going to stick with Turbo Power Extended Life coolant - then yes, just a drain and refill will be fine. If you are going to switch coolants, even though they may be compatible, usually procedure is to completely flush the old coolant out and replace with new coolant. Compatible doesn't mean it will play nice with the existing coolant - it means that the additive package will not destroy the cooling system in the car.

If you stick with the same coolant - then follow the manufacturer's recommended schedule. Could be as short as 30K miles, or could be as long as 150K miles - see what the bottle says. I haven't used this particular coolant, so I can't say what the interval should be.

Most DIYer's tend to stick with a conservative schedule - more for convenience than anything else - with the Toyota fluids, I like to change out the PInk stuff ever 60K miles, Red gets it at 30K miles. The coolant can go longer, but I stick to conservative schedules to give me a pretty big buffer just in case something comes up and I get sidetracked with other projects. This also gives you a chance to address issues that might have happened (leaking water pump, etc.) - catch them early before they become something more expensive.

Fish

Turbo power extended says it meets JAPANESE STANDARD JIS K 2234. Does that make it comAble with Toyota coolant.

What standard is Toyota coolant.

TURBO POWER EXTENDED all it says is 5yr/150,000 miles. It says nothing about additional coolant changes.

Thanks

Frank

I mentioned it in my post above - "Compatible doesn't mean it will play nice with the existing coolant - it means that the additive package will not destroy the cooling system in the car."

The standards only tell them what they have to meet to make sure they don't destroy the part they are intended to be used on, as far as lubrication, heat transfer, additive package. etc. Manufacturers are pretty free to mix their own cocktail of additive packages - each will "meet" the standard, but may not be interchangeable with each other.

Assuming that the mechanic did a full flush and replaced everything with the Turbo Power coolant, then pick a schedule that fits your available time. You know that the coolant supposed to protect you up to 150K miles or 5 years - whichever comes first. So you know the max point - just pick something before that point and you'll be good to go.

Fish

What standard does Toyota red a pink meet is it JIS K 2234. I was just wondering.

Both Toyota Red and Pink meet the JIS K 2234 standard. They also have to meet the Toyota TSK2601G coolant spec, this is unique to Toyota only - their own requirements for the coolant. Hence my mentioning that the standard does not equate to 100% cross-compatibility of chemistry.

I think it was BASF and Totachi and possibly Nulon that blended this formulation up (those are the major chemistry players involved, from what I gathered so far) only Nulon and Totachi "makes" coolants for automobiles, but they look different than the Toyota spec'd ones.

COOLANT FLUSH USING TOYOTA RED COOLANT QUESTION:

Car takes 6.9 quarts of coolant per owners manual. After car is completely flushed I add red coolant.

ADDING RED COOLANT:

Fill radiator first with 3.5 quarts RED COOLANT. Then put on top 3.5 quarts of distilled water. This will give you your 50/50 mix.

When you drive around does coolant and water get mixed in radiator.

Also how many quarts come out and what is process for just drain and refill

Thanks Frank.

How do you flush it? What coolant and water you add depends on what's left in your cooling system. If you flush it well with water, add 3.5 quarts of concentrated coolant, then top off with distilled water.

COOLANT FLUSH USING TOYOTA RED COOLANT QUESTION:

Car takes 6.9 quarts of coolant per owners manual. After car is completely flushed I add red coolant.

ADDING RED COOLANT:

Fill radiator first with 3.5 quarts RED COOLANT. Then put on top 3.5 quarts of distilled water. This will give you your 50/50 mix.

When you drive around does coolant and water get mixed in radiator.

Also how many quarts come out and what is process for just drain and refill

Thanks Frank.

Topic List