Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Tire Pressure 2013 Corolla L

By BobLevine, July 28, 2014

Hi.

I know the recommended pressure is 30 psi for all 4 wheels.

However, 35 psi gives a much more responsive ride and better mileage. Every time I have dealer service, I must reset to 35 psi since dealer is required to use factory specified inflation pressure.

Any issues in going up by 5 psi?

Thanks

Not at all - tires pressures will be unique to the driving situation and driver preferences. Myself, I tend to run them a little higher, as I drive mainly on expressways and prefer less compliance in the tire. More air means slightly lower rolling resistance and sharper steering feel. Less heat build-up as well.

If you like the ride and handling of the car @ 35PSI - then pump them up. Dealerships and tires shops will always go to the recommended tire pressure, even though it may be too low for a particular situation.

Thanks. That's just the way I feel about handling @ 35 psi.

Yes, it certainly improves steering feel & MPG's with only a small loss of ride comfort on rough surfaces. Tire wear seems perfectly even across the tread surface as well. A win-win in my book.

I personally run 38-40 psi summer & 35 in the winter.

I guess what I'd be more concerned with are braking distances. Some years ago when I was out at GM's test tracks they were doing tests and even going up 5psi added distance to the braking distance...and going down did too. While it might gain you fuel mileage it might not allow you to stop fast enough too.

Its one of those deals...you might never know how it will affect the car till its to late. And if its your fault....one of the first things investigators do in accidents is check tire pressures. They did in mine about 15 minutes into the investigation. So not saying don't do it...but I don't think its something to do without some consideration on why they do set them at what they do.

Safety is the main reason I don't inflate to the sidewall max. Splitting the difference between the recommended pressure & sidewall max is the absloute maximum safe psi I would ever use.

use recommended tire pressure...increase if car is towing or heavily loaded..

Topic List