Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By corollamike, June 16, 2014

2009 Corolla S

Rust has eaten a significant portion of the left front corner of my sunroof. Drain hole appears to be clear of debris. Rubber seal surround is distorted, but have experienced no interior leakage. Sunroof tilts and slides just fine.

I'd like to have some knowledge under my belt before I deal with repair shops, so I have a few questions:

1) Is there a good fix for this without having to replace the entire sunroof;

2) Can the sunroof be removed without removing the headliner;

3) Are there good sources for a replacement sunroof glass and frame if no repair can be made;

4) On a scale from 1 to 5, how easy or difficult would this be to do myself?

Photos:

1) View from above;

2) View from inside the car.

Thanks

well,

1. anything is fixable, it will cost money to fix it properly. while I don't have and research but likely more cost effective to replace with a good sunroof.

2. I would imagine (no experience myself) it can be removed without removing the headliner. makes sense to me as it would be a big task to remove the headliner itself.

3. you can order one from Toyota but to save yourself a bunch of money i would suggest finding a wreck and pulling a good sunroof off of it.

4. depends on your ability. I would probably give it a 4 simply because I would spend lots of time researching (youtube videos and print) to learn the steps. I would then take the time to do it properly as it is my own car and i'm anal about doing things right the first time. however you can practice when you find a wreck and pulling it off of that car ;-)

well,

1. anything is fixable, it will cost money to fix it properly. while I don't have and research but likely more cost effective to replace with a good sunroof.

2. I would imagine (no experience myself) it can be removed without removing the headliner. makes sense to me as it would be a big task to remove the headliner itself.

3. you can order one from Toyota but to save yourself a bunch of money i would suggest finding a wreck and pulling a good sunroof off of it.

4. depends on your ability. I would probably give it a 4 simply because I would spend lots of time researching (youtube videos and print) to learn the steps. I would then take the time to do it properly as it is my own car and i'm anal about doing things right the first time. however you can practice when you find a wreck and pulling it off of that car ;-)

Thanks for the reply.

Was advised by a Toyota technician that 4 Torx screws hold the sunroof to the lift bars (or whatever they're called). Said it can be removed in the closed position straight up and out and replaced in about half an hour or so.

Doubt I'll locate a wreck, but as it happens my wife's cousin has a towing/recovery business, and has been able to locate parts for another vehicle of ours. We're going to ask him to find one.

don't forget to post pics when done ;-)

don't forget to post pics when done ;-)
Yeah, I'd thought of taking some "How I Did This" photos. Might as well, as it would be a first for the entire freakin' Internet. I've yet to find a single explanation or video or photo about the 10th-gen sunroof.

Depending on the severity of the damage, I may look to find a way to repair the sunroof I have now.

Topic List