Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Video - 2009 Corolla - Metallic Clanking When Braking In Parking Garag

By Alan_2014, May 26, 2014 in Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)

Alan_2014

Certain times, usually I notice when I get to the parking garage at my work, I hear an occasional metallic clanking when I press on the brakes.

I almost never hear it when I start driving, only after I've been driving for a while.

Even then, it's hard to predict when I'll hear it. I don't always hear it when I get to work, but I was fortunate enough to hear it when I drove to work on a weekend.

My Canon Vixia mini video camera was precariously resting on my window and I tried to get the windshield wiper to help hold it in place a little. The Vixia mini is supposed to be for indoor blogging, not outdoors like a GoPro but at least it was able to record the sounds.

In the video, I back up and go forward a number of times to try to trigger it and heard it any number of times such as at 12 seconds, 17, 21, 30, 36, 42, 46, 52, 1:06, 1:10 etc

At 1:35 I start driving back down the garage and surprisingly didn't hear it all that much but I did get a final clanking sound at 2:29.

Here is the video:

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alan

Sounds like the brake pads / shoes are sticking and popping on you. Annoying - but normal under certain conditions.

Could just need a simple cleaning / lubricating key points and the noise will go away. Also lugs should be checked for correct torque. You could get these noises if the lugs were not evenly torqued onto the wheel - noise could be from the wheel and the not the brakes, only happens with braking events as you are loading/unloading the wheel/hub assembly.

If the noise is coming from the front brakes - could be the caliper slide pins are sticking or the pad is loose from the shims. Also possible that heavy brake dust or even corrosion - can cause the pad to bind and stick - making it pop when you touch the brakes.

If the noise if coming from the rear brakes - the rear drums (assuming this is front disc / rear drum) or parking brakes (mini rear drum) in cases of disc / disc layouts - can also make a lot of noise if you don't get into the habit of setting the parking brake every time you park. Rear drum brakes are normally self-adjusting, but it usually takes the action of actuating the parking brake or stopping briskly when reversing, to adjust them. For the disc / disc setups - the rear shoes under the disc hat do not adjust on their own and will eventually need to adjusted. But time between these adjustments can a considerable amount of time, since the front brakes do the lion's share of the braking workload.

Alan_2014

I'm pretty sure I have front disks and rear drums; it's an LE.

The sound seems to be coming from the right side, possibly the rear right.

I never set my parking brake for what it's worth.

I'll check the lugs and see if I can lubricate the brakes somehow.

Thanks so much for the reply. default_smile If I have to take it in for service, at least I know to tell them where to start looking.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)