Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Need A New Oil Pan For 99 Prizm

By Opium, May 6, 2014

Part "looks" to be a Dorman part - that or they just snagged a Dorman part image. If I give them the benefit of the doubt and say it is a Dorman part, it is a well known aftermarket replacement part company. Products from them, at least from my experience, has been hit or miss. Had bad luck with even very basic parts from them (gaskets, orings, non-moving hardware, etc.) - usually fitment issues and/or wrong material. Warranty is meaningless on a non-moving part - likely only covers defects in construction and finish. Only thing that I'm confused about is a Dorman part has a limited lifetime warranty, that vendor only listed a one year / one time replacement warranty.

Something critical like an oil pan - that's up to you. Since a Dorman part from a retailer like Rockauto retails around $56 - might be wiser to spend an extra $20 and get it from Rockauto - that way you have an easier way to return the item, if you decide it won't work for you. Not sure on your experience with returning merchandise on EBay - but it can be a nightmare depending on the circumstances.

Another option is to grab a clean one from a salvaged / part out Corolla might be a better idea - if there is a local pick and pull you can visit.

I know that on occasion, I'll lift up on the engine via the oil (not recommended) - to install engine mounts/diagnostic work. The OEM pan is a pretty tough piece - not sure if this will be the case with an aftermarket replacement. I've also driven over and gotten stuck in tracked vehicle ruts (don't ask) - no damage to the OEM pan (knock on wood). Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

Do I need a gasket or is it the RTV silicone stuff to install with the oil pan?

This generation of engines uses FIPG (form in place gasket) sealant material. Similar to RTV, but chemically a little different. Toyota specifically calls for a certain type of sealant, applied in a certain manner in this application, to prevent leaks. I believe Three-Bond is the original manufacturer of the recommended Toyota FIPG sealant, but you should be able to get a Permatex equivalent.

Topic List