Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Corolla 2001 Air Filter

by ninioautista, April 29, 2014

Hi all, the car I bought from a friend a while back has a K&N filter in it (my friend said he added it because it was better, and I never asked why)

Anyway, I was reading and came across this:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

http://forums.automobilemag.com/70/6411448/technical-discussion/k-n-filters-can-cost-you-thousands/

Both really don't talk nice about these K&N filters.

I actually bought the cleaner for the K&N filter and I was about to clean it when I realized I didn't even know why I had it instead of a regular so I started researching, and that's what I've found

In your experience, are the K&N filters good, better than OEM? Should I stop using it and buy an OEM? Which one is the brand of the OEM one (and if you have a part number that'd be even better)

Thanks in advance for your help default_smile

Regards

Did you also get oil for the filter, for after it's cleaned, rinsed, and dried? Can you still return it?

They are right about the K&N's reduced filtering capacity, etc.

Denso and AC Delco air filters are as good as OEM.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1432912,parttype,6192,a,www.google.com%2BSearch%2Bfor%2B2001%2BTOYOTA%2BCOROLLA%2B1.8L%2BL4

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-9th-gen-corolla-1st-gen-matrix-2003-2008/429745-official-ultimate-2003-2008-corolla-matrix-pontiac-vibe-maintenance-thread.html

Up to you - everything has certain tradeoffs. These cotton gauze filters are no exception - they definitely require a certain amount of experience to get the most from them. With these filters - the only thing that is preventing dirt and debris from getting into the engine is the tack oil that is applied to the pleats. If you apply the oil incorrectly, it could have catastrophic effects. Where you drive the car can also have a huge impact on filtering performance as well.

That said - myself, I've never had any issue with my K&N aftermarket filter on the Corolla or any of the other cars that I've installed them on. I've even pulled UOAs with both a K&N and OEM filter installed and saw no appreciable difference in wear metals, silicates, etc. Fuel economy for me, has gone up a hair with the K&N. No change in HP that can be "felt" - just a slight audible change in the intake noise.

The key is making sure the filter sits in the airbox correctly (assuming this is a panel filter) and that it is oiled correctly. Too much oil - and it will increase the likelyhood of intake fouling (TB, MAF, IAT, etc.). Also can affect dirt capture - as too much oil is just a bad as too little, in overall dirt holding potential. Too little oil, or oil that has evaporated off - will greatly reduce dirt holding/capturing potential.

Washing the filter is pretty straightforward - drying will take some time. Oiling it - that is more of something you learn over time. With mine - I make sure the filter is perfectly dry before I oil them. Use the aerosol spray oil, way easier to apply, hit each pleat evenly, making sure to saturate the filter material evenly (go by the color) - after that is done - I stick it in a plastic bag and on top of some paper towels to allow any excess oil to wick away, give time for the oil to set into the cotton material. After that is done - I pop the filter in - never had an issue with that technique. In the mean time - I'll run the OEM filter. Since I run it only a couple days - that filter still looks brand new. Just check the gasket from time to time. Other owners run two K&N filters - swapping them out when needed. Once you oil the filter, you can toss it into a large zip lock bag, and it will keep for a surprising long time.

Thanks for the responses!

Guess I'll carefully clean it while I run the regular one default_smile

If i have any problems i'll let you guys know!

How often do you clean your K&N fish?

Whenever they get dirty and/or the oil starts to dry out. In my area - I can get about a year out of the filter with just a touch up of the tack oil spray - clean and wash them every other year or sooner, depending on how much dirt there is. Last couple of years, they've been doing some new construction around my neighborhood - lots of fine dust thrown up. That period of time, I was washing them yearly, reoiling twice a year.

Whenever they get dirty and/or the oil starts to dry out. In my area - I can get about a year out of the filter with just a touch up of the tack oil spray - clean and wash them every other year or sooner, depending on how much dirt there is. Last couple of years, they've been doing some new construction around my neighborhood - lots of fine dust thrown up. That period of time, I was washing them yearly, reoiling twice a year.
Thanks.

I dont have much dirt around my place, and as far as I know my filter has less than year so far, but already 20k miles on it. i'll take a look tomorrow and see.

im gonna put an OEM one while I clean this one.

^^^ Thanks for the link. Never used that one before - might give it a try, pretty cheap compared to the K&N variant as well.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)