Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Can I Mix Valvoline Max Life Atf With Valcoline Max Life Full Syntheti

By Mukesh, April 20, 2014

I have always drained and refilled Valvoline MAX LIFE 75000 DEX/MERC ATF . This time I could not find the same but I found Valvoline MAX LIFE FULL SYNTHETIC. Both are recommended for my 1999 Corolla (Dexron-III)

My question is: can I drain my current ATF (Valvoline MAX LIFE) and refill with Valvoline MAX Life FULL SYNTHETIC.

Yes you can... You could also replace all of your ATF by pumping it out at the return cooling line while refilling it with engine idling.

Thanks for the quick reply. Good to know that I can mix and also flush ATF; but how to find return cooling line?

I can never remember which is which - I used to mark the lines, but that gets wiped away pretty easily. Easiest way is to disconnect one of the fluid lines running from the transaxle to the radiator. Run a length of tubing on the hard pipe from the radiator - stick both ends securely into a collection tank/jug/bucket etc. Start the car, see where the fluid is being pushed from - that will be the return side.

Fisxexpo101. Thanks for your suggestion.

What would be your suggestion on drain and refill with synthetic ATF.

Drain and refill is all that most people ever really need. Since the two formulations are very similar, aside from the base oil being synthetic in the newer Valvoline Maxlife. The Maxlife 75000 is semi-synthetic anyways.

If you drain interval is pretty conservative, might never need to fully flush out the system.

I tend to stick with drains and refills, doing an occasional pan drop to clean off the sludge that can form in the bottom of the pan and the magnets. Also gives me a chance to change that filter. I tow a trailer occasionally, so my usage is a little more extreme than others - even do a stint around an autocross track, time permitting - drain and refill works plenty well for me.

Now, if you intend to switch to a completely new brand of fluid - then I'd lean toward what dom mentioned and do a full fluid exchange. Most of the time, you should be OK with a simple drain and refill - but when you change to a different brand, the additive packages don't always work together. Worse case, you'll just have to shorten the drain interval - a DIY cooler line flush just saves your time in the long run in that particular case.

Thanks for the quick response FISHEXPO101.

I will just drain and refill. The car has 132K miles and I guess it's time to change filter. Time to drop pan and clean / replace filter.

Any suggestions on trans filter? I am thinking to go WIX 58605 Automatic Transmission Filter Kit

https://www.amazon.com/WIX-58605-Automatic-Transmission-Filter/dp/B000C9TD8O/ref=au_pf_ss_2?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=corolland-20&Make=Toyota%7C76&Model=Corolla%7C1013&Year=1999%7C1999&carId=001&n=15684181&s=automotive

WIX should be fine. Never had a problem with them before. Just make sure to double check that it fits the transaxle you have - 3-speed or 4-speed. Quick way to tell is from the overall shape of the pan gasket, the other is to count the number of bolt holes - as they are different from the 4-speed and 3-speed.

Great. Thanks again for your good help.

Thanks Dom. If I flush ATF through cooler line and drop pan to clean and change filter; then how much ATF should I have handy to pour back?

Start by draining and removing pan to clean it and magnet(s) in the pan and remove old gasket. Replace filter and gasket, and install pan. Refill (4 quarts is about 0.3 quart overfull), then start flushing out the rest through return line while idling for about 20 seconds at a time, to get about 1 1/2 to 2 quarts out and stop engine. Refill, repeat and stop once clean bright red fluid comes out. Reconnect return line and top off level which is checked while idling, to about half way between cold and hot marks,.. Total capacity is 8 quarts, so you'll do well with about 9 quarts. You can also do your power steering if you get 10 quarts and end up having a quart left over.

Thanks Dom. Good to know and nice instructions. Thank you.

A very interesting topic. I have a similar car with 130K miles. I'm the 6th owner. I believe the Transmission fluid has never been replaced and it is dark red. one mechanic suggested that I should change the oil and the filter and another one suggested flushing and exchanging the ATF. Some website recommend not to change the ATF of high mileage cars if it has never been replaced. any suggestion?

Can't really go by the color of the fluid. Fresh fluid has a bright red color, but will quickly darken during normal use. Sometimes will even look like used motor oil - almost black in color. Really should go by odor - if the fluid has a burnt smell to it, then it completely cooked and needs to be flushed out sooner than later.

As for flushes vs drains and refills - Toyota recommends just drains and refills as being sufficient. Change interval will be dependent on model year and mileage, what fluid is currently in there, and how the driving conditions were (lots of stop and go, excessive idling, towing - should change fluid more often).

Not changing the ATF is a sure fire way to kill a transaxle. That said, flushing a high mileage transaxle may cause it to die immediately afterwards, as it stirs up debris internally that clogs key oil passage ways - but in those cases, the transaxle would have died anyway from the lack of maintenance.

If you are unsure - stick with a drain and refill. It is a gradual process - as it only drains 1/3 to 1/4 of the total fluid capacity. If it was my car - I'd drop the transaxle pan and see how much debris is on the bottom of the pan, how much metal shavings are stuck on the pan magnets, and see how clogged the filter screen is. That should give you a clearer picture if the car has seen any previous transaxle service before.

Currently the car has Valvoline MAX LIFE 75000 DEX/MERC ATF and I do have stop and go driving but no towing. I have always drained and refilled with Valvoline MAX LIFE 75000 DEX/MERC ATF after every 40K. I do see the ATF is still pinkish and no burning smell. The car has 130K; but I have never dropped the pan and changed the ATF filter.

The question came because I got Valvoline MAX LIFE FULL SYNTHETIC and I wanted to know can I mix. But I am sure that I can drain and refill with current Valvoline MAX LIFE 75000 DEX/MERC ATF with Valvoline MAX LIFE FULL SYNTHETIC . I will have WIX filter by tomorrow and planning to drop pan and clean the magnet; even going to replace the filter. As, I am not unsure about the flush; I will stick to drain and refill.

Topic List