Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

What Waxes Work Well?

by Warof1812, January 4, 2005

See every reply in these pages:

Just bought a Silver 2005 S and the weather is unseasonably warm here so I'm thinking about putting the first coat of wax on my Corolla. I went to an auto parts store yesterday and they had been cleaned out. I would have bought NuFinish if I could have found any but they just had a few tins of Turtlewax and a few other brands I'm not familiar with. Any suggestions?

I've had pretty go luck with NuFinish and I like the idea of not having to wax every month. But the Corolla is so much smaller than my last vehicle it probably wouldn't take any more time.

Supposedly NuFinish lasts a very long time but is more abrasive than ideal. I never noticed, only having used it on older vehicles.

I am using Turtle Wax Platium Ultra Gloss liquid now, and I really like it. It is very easy to put on a thin coat, and it really looked nice when I was done.

So, I use the NuFinish on my wifes 6 year old car and the TWPUG on my 05 Corolla.

The reason I went with it is because I read it was nearly as durable while providing a better look and less abrasive wear.

autopia.org is where I went to learn...spent a long time searching the forums for one step products...everyone there is //insane// about washing and waxing, and it shows, everything looks amazing. However, I'm only willing to put two hours in once a month... default_sad

Dai_Shan

Well personally from reviews and recommendations from friends/family i would stick with muiguirs techwax(i believe its called that) or one of their other nonsynthetic waxes. Otherwise mothers.

Stay away from any kinda waxes with posishes or abrasives. With a nice new car like that you are just going to want pure wax. Not a combo wax/cleaner/polisher.

I almost went with Meguires NXT wax, but I read it wasn't very durable. Supposedly it looks like a million bucks tho!

I almost picked some up...I'll probably cave in the spring just to see what its like >default_smile

G

I have been very happy with the Meguier's NXT, and Zaino products. No durability problem with either one. default_biggrin

Guest Corollasroyce

Ive always used Mothers...gold....works great....

Max

I just picked up a container of Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax. I've always used Meguiar's Gold Class, which has been great, easy on and off, good shine and depth, but it does not last through the first rain. I'll let you know how the NXT goes when I use it later this month. Keith- glad to hear you like it.

Dai_Shan

Yeah i had heard that new TechWax was MORE durable...but just didn't have quite as good of a deep finish that carnuba waxes can give to dark cars (reds, blue, black etc)

I have a silver car....so TechWax should work great...i havn't 'put out' yet for it.

I am hesitant to wax having never waxed a car. Should i wax onto a dry car? (after washing)

Do just some generic towels(cotton) from the car isle going to work fine? Or do they need to be some fancy pants soft stuff?

Max

Wash your car, then dry thoroughly before waxing. Don't forget your bumpers and inside door sills and whatnot. Whever there is paint- wax it. Use the applicator that comes with the wax, and remove with 100% cotton terry or microfiber towel. I have found that my oldest, softest bath towels are great for removing wax. Let us know how she shines up!

Guest rev_rock

Guest rev_rock

The easiest was I've ever used was by Waxshop. It is very hard to find nowdays. You just pour a little in a bowl, grab a soft cloth, dip it, ring it out, and wipe on. Let it dry, then wipe off. The stuff was great.

As far as the best shine I've ever gotten from a wax, that would have to go to - believe it or not - and Amway product called Silicone Glaze. It wasn't very easy to apply (especially if you had used other waxes prior to using it), but the shine was incredible. My dad sold Amway years ago, and gave me a bottle that he had leftover. Good stuff, that's for sure!

I recently bought a bottle of the Mequire's Tech Wax to use on my Dodge, but haven't tried it yet. I'm painting my Geo when the weather gets nice and all my body work is complete, so I'm not putting any wax on it.

Guest Corollasroyce

Well if you want a REALLY good wax, you can use airplane polish, i used to use it on my bike, makes the paint look like glass, amazing stuff, its very useful for getting rid of small scratches and keeping paint looking brand new....the downsides??? its EXTREMLY expensive, talking about $150 for 190 mls...or half a can of pop...the other negative side is that if you press hard, it will rub the paint right off....very gentle hands required. used in proper caution nothing compairs though....id never use it on my whole car...would take 6-8 hours to be that careful

Max

The wonder Corolla got a coat of Meguiar's Tech wax tonight. It was very easy on and off, but so far it is not as impressive as Meguiar's Gold Class. It's not bad by any means, but the car lacks the deep shine and very slick feeling Gold Class imparts. I also notice far more "dark spots" after removing the wax than I do with Gold Class. Those always disappear after a day, and I sure hope that is the case here. I'll let you know how durable it is.

Dai_Shan

Max, what color corolla did you put it on?

Max

Impulse Red. I wonder if lighter colors get the streaky, dark spots I mentioned?

Dai_Shan

Yeah from what i have heard darker colors (red,black,blue) are really brought to life with a natural carnuba wax. (but like you say it only lasts a short time anyhow). So a car like mine (light silver) wouldn't be to effected.

Synthetic waxes hold up a bit better thus offering better protection.

Here's another vote for Zaino. It costs a lot, but it goes a long way and lasts longer than anything I've used. It has the advantage that additional coats don't dissolve the prior coats, so it can be built up as much as you want, which eliminates minor swirl scratches and looks really deep on dark colors (I have a dark blue '05 Corolla and a dark green '01 Suburban).

Max

Update on the Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax. Maybe I just didn't get my surface prepped well the first time I used this stuff, or maybe it was too cold, but in any event, I waxed the car today and I am just amazed at the deep gloss of the color (impulse red), the shine, and the very slick feel of the paint. It feels like I used paint cleaner and/or polish first, but I didn't- just the wax. It also hid two rather nasty scratches. Easy on and off, too, and no white residue left behind. I'm sold!

Guest Spud

I waxed the car today and I am just amazed at the deep gloss of the color (impulse red), the shine, and the very slick feel of the paint.

Mind if I bring mine to you in a month or two? default_biggrin

Guest rudyossanchez

untill now gold class is the only wax that i trusth , if you use scrach X to clean the paint, and then a polish to make it come alive and finish it all with gold class its just amazing. it takes a lot of time but if you care for you Corolla I think its worth it

Max

Hey Rudy- welcome. On another thread somewhere, I was talking about the same routine you are, and how that's been my m.o. for years. I will continue to use Scratch X and the Deep Crystal System polish, maybe even the Gold Class I have left, but Tech Wax has done an amazing job, and it beads better, too.

I use Eagle One's Wax as U Dry - it's super easy and leaves the paint super-shiny and slick - no, a spray wax doesn't have the durability of a paste wax (I realize that) but it does repel water and will last until the next wash which is usually every 10 days - I used to use the paste wax and it was alot of work and took alot of time - I find this is a timesaver and I am very pleased with the results, several friends of mine who dismissed spray waxes tried it and now are believers!

I highly recommend Eagle One's products!

Max

Hey,are you the Eagle One fan who used to post here? If so, welcome back. You are right, spray on wax isn't really the same as regular wax. It's not bad, but if you want the long-asting protection and deep gloss, you gotta take the time to do the deed. Since you don't like paste wax, and you do like Eagle One products, you could try their new liquid Nano Wax. It even comes with its own microfiber towel. Easy on and off, and worth the extra effort.

I have been very happy with the Meguier's NXT, and Zaino products. No durability problem with either one. default_biggrin

Zaino on all my vehicles.

Great stuff!

Dai_Shan

What kinda price is the zaino? I saw the meguir's tech was like 16$....i walked away from that haha.

how about the Eagle Liquid wax price?

Where is a good place to buy wax? At Target the prices were all in the 10-17$ range for decent brands without polishing agents.

Online possibly?

Topic List