Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Fuel Injector Questions

by Bull6791, March 26, 2014

I wanted to know what are the signs of a bad fuel injector. How would the car run. Would you get lower mpg.

Also how would you know if you need to clean your fuel injectors.

How do you replace the fuel injectors.

Thanks Frank

Bad fuel injectors usually cause misfires, engine stumbling, rough idle, poor engine power, and reduced fuel economy. Problem is - lots of other tings can cause the exact same symptoms.

Cleaning the fuel injectors would be my first though. In tank products, additives that you add to the gas tank to clean the injectors during operation helps some owners. Best to pick fuel system cleaners that have lots of PEA additive in it (made by Chevron) - Chevron Fuel system cleaner, Gumout with Regane, Vavloline Sympower, and my choice - Redline SI-1 Complet Fuel System Cleaner - all have some amounts of PEA in them, with Redline having the most.

If that cleaning doesn't work - you'll have to clean them with a pressurized fuel rail manifold - they basically connect cans of concentrated cleaner directly to the fuel rail - disconnect the fuel line and run your car from the special cleaner fuel.

Replacing them would be a last resort sort of thing - if you have diagnosed a bad injector (draws too much power, draws no power, intermittent in operating, etc.) - then you'll have to replace it. Pretty simple in these cars, assuming you have the SST or special service tools to disconnect and relieve fuel pressure from the injector rail before you try and remove them.

I'd look into more likely possibilities of bad gas, dirty throttle body, bad air fuel ratio sensor, vacuum leaks, worn plugs, etc. - then suspect injectors. You'll definitely have to do some more diagnosing to eliminate possible culprits and there are a lot of them that can lead to these particular symptoms.

Topic List