Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Transmission Fluid Question

by Bull6791, February 21, 2014

The factory trans fluid on the 05 corolla T-iv tends to discolor very quickly on some cars.

Does the factory trans fluid on the 07 Camry WS lifetime fluid discolor quickly on some cars.

I heard Valvoline Max life is good trans fluid.

Thanks Frank

Valvoline Max Life is good fluid, you heard right. Color of fluid may not be a good indication of it's condition, I find the smell of the fluid can tell you more about it's state but you need new fluid to compare the smell to. If it smells like new fluid then it's probably fine if it's a little dark, if it doesn't smell like anything or smells burned or singed then its time to change or way pas time to change.

Can you put Max Life over the factory fluid?

You can mix the fluids - but usually best, when changing fluids, to swap them out completely (ie, flush the old stuff out).

Fish

Does the WS life time trans fluid get dirty quickly in some cars like the t-iv trans fluid does.

Frank

Depends on the car - generally speaking, Toyota WS doesn't "dirty" as quickly as the Toyota Type T-IV, but mainly that is due to the base stock. Toyota WS is synthetic while Toyota T-IV is conventional. But do not interchange them - Toyota never back-spec'd WS to T-IV applications.

As Bitter mentioned, color is a poor indicator for oil "life" or lubrication ability. Don't go by the color of the fluid, go by smell or have it chemically analyzed. Heavily oxidized fluid will have a characteristic burnt odor to it.

Valvoline MaxLife is great fluid for Toyota T-IV and WS applications. It is a synthetic fluid - so it works well in Toyota WS applications. Should be OK for Toyota T-IV ATF apps, but keep in mind that it is much thinner than the spec'd Toyota fluid (both WS and T-IV applications). If you want to find a different source for Toyota Type T-IV - get Mobil ATF 3309. That is the OEM supplier for Toyota Type T-IV ATF - same stuff, different packaging. I've run MaxLife in Toyota WS applications without issues - but I have to caveat, the makeup of Toyota WS "is" different - different viscosity and different additive package, compared to MaxLife.

As with most specialized fluids - safer to stick with OEM, unless you can verify that aftermarket fluids will meet those specifications.

Topic List