Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Rust Issue On 2013 Corolla

By SCQTT, February 10, 2014

I have a 2013 Corolla that I bought new in Jan of 13.

It is a Tupelo Corolla.

This is my commuter car and I drive a lot. I keep it as clean as possible, but it has been exposed to Ohio levels of salt and rain.

Within a week or two of getting my car I noticed a small rust "stain" on (top of) the left side of the chrome trim strip on the trunk. I say it is a stain because this piece is plastic and cannot rust. I assumed there was a small trim clip under the trim that failed to get the right coating from the factory and was rusting. No worries, I thought there will be plenty of time to investigate that.

I washed the car last week and as customary I wiped off the little rusty stain on my chrome trim. I was not pleased to find several rust bubbles the diameter of BBs under the paint right next to the chrome strip. Obviously something is very wrong.

I plan for this to be my everyday car for the next 8-10 years and really counted on it being a decent looking car for at least the next 6. with 1.5 winters under my belt I think this thing will look like crap in 3 years.

I'll try to take photos soon.

Otherwise the car has mostly been flawless in 30K miles.

See if you can get some paperwork started on it at the dealership. Lots of people are having issues with the newer low VOC, water based clear coats and metallic paints. If this becomes a problem down the road, since you have it documented, you have a much better shot at having some resolution for it, if and when they have a "fix".

Started in the early 2000s, it was mandated that they switch to a lower toxicity paint process. Problem with that paint, was it doesn't "stick" as well as the old stuff. On both our 2009s - the clear coat was peeling pretty badly up on the front and anytime you got a stone chip in it. On the Matrix, the paint was touched up 4 times on the front bumper cover - completely repainted twice - still peels off. My 1996 Camry on contrast - drove that behind a big trucks for years - stone chips all over, but not a single rust bubble or peeling paint. My 2002 Corolla is in between - no bubbles of rust, but the paint chips in a heartbeat, doesn't "heal" over like on the Camry.

Along with the small rust issue, which I will address when the "baking season" starts, I also have the issue of clear coat disappearing on my '02 white Corolla. And, yes, the front plastic bumper has a lot of small black dots due to the paint chipping off easily. It's not noticeable up close.

Michigan's winters are certainly akin to Ohio's winters, as SQTT can attest.

A 2013 Corolla with the described premature rust issue is certainly unacceptable. Unfortunately, from what I've read on http://www.consumeraffairs.com, Toyota dealerships appear to fight back with faced with factory issues. (well, okay, don't all dealerships?)

Did the feds mandate the lower toxicity paint process?

You said it all with "Tupelo Corolla". My '09 S model was built in Canada. To date, I am well pleased with it. Like any new model, a new factory is subject to ironing out some issues over time, as well. I'm sure the people who build Corollas at the Tupelo factory are decent, hard-working people. The issue here, as well as in other posts about fit, finish, and the like, is a Tupelo manufacturing plant issue. Whether or not Toyota will decide to help you out is another matter. Keep at it, and hopefully, you'll come across someone willing to listen and do the right thing.

My story: When the accelerator pedal recalls were in the news everywhere you looked, I grew very anxious. When I heard Toyota were installing newly-redesigned pedals on their affected models, I wanted the new pedal for my '09 'Rolla. Was told, and very matter-of-factly, that there was no way I was to receive the new pedal. My ONLY option, according to Toyota USA (yes, I called them), was to go ahead with the shim fix. If I didn't feel comfortable with the fix, I could petition for a new pedal. That was the only deal available.

Initially, I told them I wanted the part number for the new pedal, and that I'd pay for it out of pocket. Toyota USA told me they had no intention of giving me the part number! So, I had a dealer perform the shim fix. A few weeks later, Toyota wrote to say they now wanted to yank out my pedal a SECOND time to perform a TRIM JOB!

I went into orbit.

Called my local dealer and spoke with a PR person. Told her there was no way on this green earth I would allow that. She said their rep was in the area, and that she would call to see if I could get the new pedal. As it happened, the rep was in a good mood and ok'd the new pedal install. I now have the new pedal Toyota put in all affected vehicles.

MORAL: Never give up, no matter what they tell you. If one Toyota representative gives you the cold shoulder, speak to someone else!

Isn't there a rust warranty?

I have the exactly same issue under the trim on the trunk. I don't think rust warranty will cover it because it has to be a hole. I hope there will be some sort of recall for this. I even have one of those rust inhibitor gadgets.

I have a 2013 Corolla that I bought new in Jan of 13.

It is a Tupelo Corolla.

This is my commuter car and I drive a lot. I keep it as clean as possible, but it has been exposed to Ohio levels of salt and rain.

Within a week or two of getting my car I noticed a small rust "stain" on (top of) the left side of the chrome trim strip on the trunk. I say it is a stain because this piece is plastic and cannot rust. I assumed there was a small trim clip under the trim that failed to get the right coating from the factory and was rusting. No worries, I thought there will be plenty of time to investigate that.

I washed the car last week and as customary I wiped off the little rusty stain on my chrome trim. I was not pleased to find several rust bubbles the diameter of BBs under the paint right next to the chrome strip. Obviously something is very wrong.

I plan for this to be my everyday car for the next 8-10 years and really counted on it being a decent looking car for at least the next 6. with 1.5 winters under my belt I think this thing will look like crap in 3 years.

I'll try to take photos soon.

Otherwise the car has mostly been flawless in 30K miles.

Make a video of it, post it to YouTube, and advertise it by posting links to it everywhere. Be very detailed and specific in describing the problem, such as the fact yours is a Tupelo Corolla, when you first noticed the rust, and so on. Send the video to Toyota USA, too. Be honest and relentless.

Hi all, regarding the rust problem in the strip inside the trunk, I too had the rust problem with my 2013 Corolla, to which I was crushed. I am 50 something and this is my very first new car, so you can understand how disappointed that I have been.

The Pickering, ON dealership has been horrid so far for a host of reasons. First they tried to b.s. me by saying that was normal with a white car. This is my fourth white car. None of them have rusted until after 10 years.

They told me that Toyota would not do anything about the rust, so I insisted and didn't let up and they backed down. I too have that little rust inhibitor installed. After the fact, I was told by an independent garage that the inhibitor would only work if my car was submerged in the ocean, so I went and got rustproofing done. Well, last week I noticed a small rust spot on the trunk about 8 inches to the right of the licence plate!!

Thanks for letting me vent. I have a paper trail, so we will see!

Hi, I have a 2013 corolla, new 23 months ago. I just found several rust spots on the trunk, some at the chrome strip and others about 8 inches to the right of the license plate. I got looking online and found this forum, just wondering if anyone has had any luck with getting the repairs done under warranty? I am now out of bumper to bumper warranty due to mileage, but was hoping the rust warranty was longer. I won't hold my breath with the dealer helping me out, the service has been poor all along!

Usually cosmetic issues like that are covered for the first 12 months / 12k miles - some dealerships double that, depending on the region. There is the factory corrosion warranty, think it is 5 years / unlimited mileage. But the stipulation is that the panel in question has to be perforated to be covered, ie. the rust has to eat all the way through. Surface rust and scale is not covered.

I had some issues on my old Toyota Matrix with corrosion around the hatch - since it was significantly more than surface rust, but short of perforated the window frame - it wouldn't be covered by the corrosion warranty. But I did get around it due to the fact it was seeping water past the window frame. In my situation, dealership initially didn't want to submit any warranty claim, as they couldn't make much money from it. It was pretty sad, as Toyota will pay them book-time to do the repair, but since they, and many other dealerships, contract out to a 3rd party for body work, they won't see any profit back to the dealership.

Your case - harder to say. Likely will depend on the dealership and how they want to submit a warranty ticket on this.

I have a 2013 Corolla in black, this is also rusting above the chrome strip on the trunk, and all the spot welds in the trunk water channel are rusting as well. I checked a friend at works car and hers is also rusting. I have pictures but not sure how to add them here..

^^^ Easiest way is to upload your photos to any of those photo hosting sites and then copy the links to this forum.

I have a 2013 Corolla in black, this is also rusting above the chrome strip on the trunk, and all the spot welds in the trunk water channel are rusting as well. I checked a ami qui prend phenq at works car and hers is also rusting. I have pictures but not sure how to add them here..

I too have 2013 Corolla, also in black, also rusting on the chrome strip on the trunk, but nowhere else. Going to send the pics to Toyota and would suggest you to do the same.

• 110 posts

In this day and age of YouTube, don't bother with pics. Just upload a short video from your phone. 

Topic List