Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Hamilton Felix January 9, 2014

• 23 posts

All the alarm beeping in my 2007 Corolla drives me nuts. I really like my ex-cop Crown Vic with the "dark car" option which means no audible alarms and no automatic dome light.

I looked for the beeper and could not find it. A friend recently told me I can't find the beeper because it works through the speakers of the factory stereo. Is this true?

I can live with the key-in-ignition beeper and the left-your-lights-on alert. If there's no easy way to find and disable the noisemaker, I will find the wires and switches in both front seat belt buckles and bypass them so the car thinks they are always buckled. I am sick of all the beeping when the passenger gets out to check the mail, someone sets a package on the seat, or I just want to move the car across the yard.

But I am really curious about this beep alert through the stereo business.

1) Turn the Car On. Do not start the engine (Leave your foot off the brake pedal). Cycle your trip reset knob until you it reads ODO. Turn the ignition back off. Wait a couple of seconds.

2) Make sure seat belt is not fastened.

3) Turn the ignition back on. Do not start the car (Leave your foot off the brake pedal) As soon as you see everything light up, press and hold the trip reset knob and do a 12 second count.

4) Keep your finger on the trip reset knob. Fasten your seat belt. You should see the ODO display go from --- miles to "b-on". At that time take your finger off the trip reset knob and press it again. It should cycle to "b-off". Turn ignition off and unfasten your seat belt.

• 23 posts

Hey, thanks, I will do it!

I know how to reset my 5,000 mile maintenance light, but this new.

The "dark car" feature on my 2000 Crown Vic is enabled or disabled by connecting/disconnecting a wire hidden in a bundle in the right front of passenger compartment.

Oh, do you know if that "beeper is a function of the stereo" story has any truth to it?

LOL No. It doesn't beep through the stock stereo speakers... I installed a JVC CD deck with Alpine speakers and an amp with subwoofer. It still beeps in the in-dash beeper.

Crown Vic with a 4.6 police interceptor engine?

• 23 posts

I sort of wondered about that story!

Yep, it's an old P71 Crown Vic with the 4.6 engine. Good rig.

They went to "Performance Improved" heads and a slightly different manifold in about 2003.

I may go that route when rebuild time rolls around. But she's running well at 227,000 or so.

And on the two lane blacktop, I usually break 20 mpg with the .3.55 rear end gears.

Wife stopped her long commute and is home these days, so I'm driving the Corolla more.

She can sometimes beat 40 mpg if we can find "real" gas to put in it.

Is there a sequence similar to that which works on the 01 Corolla? I can't stand hearing the annoying dings.

• 23 posts

Hey, dom, my wife says thank you, thank you, thank you. And so do I - particularly since I had occasion to do a fair bit of low speed maneuvering and listening tonight. Had a grating brake noise. First took front brakes apart; all pads were good. Then took rear drums off, linings still OK. But a rear shoe did grab at one point with hand brake use. Cleaned up and put back together. Bunch of labor just for inspection, but at least I'm sure nothing was metal on metal. Must have been dirt. Really NICE not to have all that beeping.

Wow, I'll be damned. It actually worked. That's great .. Just make sure you don't forget to use your seatbelts, turn off the lights, and remove ignition key if not locking doors.

good that it worked for you. However, I find when I wear my seat belt and plug the end in the beeping stops every time. It is also safer..

I'm glad my 2004 doesn't beep for the front seat belts. It's just a flashing red warning lamp.

• 23 posts

Well, dom, it used to work. Recently got the car back from the dealer after clutch replacement (257K isn't bad, considering my wife learned to drive stick with this car), and we noticed beeps we didn't want to hear, such as when I unbuckled passenger belt.

After multiple tries of the procedure, I cannot get to "b-on" or "b-off." I don't know what the dealership did to it, but I'm not happy. I guess it's back to cutting or shorting seatbelt buckle wires as necessary, unless I can find and disable that beeper.

HEY, I GOT IT! Took many tries, slightly varying time between turning on and pushing ODO button, and longer than 12 second wait, but finally got to "b-on" and turned it off. Yay! I hate cars that try to think for me or force my behavior. I even detest clutch-starter interlocks.

1) Turn the Car On. Do not start the engine (Leave your foot off the brake pedal). Cycle your trip reset knob until you it reads ODO. Turn the ignition back off. Wait a couple of seconds.

2) Make sure seat belt is not fastened.

3) Turn the ignition back on. Do not start the car (Leave your foot off the brake pedal) As soon as you see everything light up, press and hold the trip reset knob and do a 12 second count.

4) Keep your finger on the trip reset knob. Fasten your seat belt. You should see the ODO display go from --- miles to "b-on". At that time take your finger off the trip reset knob and press it again. It should cycle to "b-off". Turn ignition off and unfasten your seat belt.

Dom,

Do you know if this procedure will work for an '09 Corolla? In the meantime, I'll try this.

Thanks

Well, dom, it used to work. Recently got the car back from the dealer after clutch replacement (257K isn't bad, considering my wife learned to drive stick with this car), and we noticed beeps we didn't want to hear, such as when I unbuckled passenger belt.

After multiple tries of the procedure, I cannot get to "b-on" or "b-off." I don't know what the dealership did to it, but I'm not happy. I guess it's back to cutting or shorting seatbelt buckle wires as necessary, unless I can find and disable that beeper.

HEY, I GOT IT! Took many tries, slightly varying time between turning on and pushing ODO button, and longer than 12 second wait, but finally got to "b-on" and turned it off. Yay! I hate cars that try to think for me or force my behavior. I even detest clutch-starter interlocks.

I have also just turned off the beeping seat belt noise. It's nice to be FREE of all that noise when I need to have the belt off momentarily .

With freedom comes responsibility. I always use my seat belt, but no one should force me to .

To answer my own question above for anyone wondering how to do this in their 01-02 corolla I disconnected the seat wire harness and connected both wires together which silenced the seat belt dings, then I disconnected the door ajar sensor's wiring harness from the sensor on the door pillar. No more door ajar dings and it also silenced the ignition dings where I can do as I will with the key and I hear nothing. The alarm will sound when motion is detected so the disabled door ajar sensor is irrelevant.

I like to listen to the radio with the door open. Is there a way to program the ninth generation to turn off door ajar?

Likely not. You'd either have to roll the windows down and leave the door shut to listen to the radio, or disconnect the wiring harness from the door sensor on the pillar if you want to leave the door open.

• 23 posts

Snow Tire:

"With freedom comes responsibility. I always use my seat belt, but no one should force me to."

You said a mouthful, my friend. I am a former EMT and a motorcyclist. I believe in seatbelts and helmets, but I am adamantly opposed to seatbelt and helmet laws. It is MY choice.

Those beepers and dingers make it awkward to maneuver the car in my yard or shop. We certainly should be anle to listen to the stereo with doors open. We should even be able to drive a drowned manual transmission car out of the flooded patch of road by running the starter in first gear. Drivers should be Drivers, without the car making the decisions.

I also believe in personal freedom.

And luckily my rear brakes don't drag when the parking brake is pulled up one click to disable DRL.

They seem to want to make the car fool proof, but I see so many Corolla drivers driving in the rain and fog and snow with no tail lights.

It won't always be dark enough to trigger the lights to turn on. And they should be in that type of weather.

It dosen't need to be fool proof unless it is driven by a fool. What's next? Driverless cars?

• 23 posts

According to Google and others, driverless cars are on the way.

Topic List