Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Is 5W 30 Ideal For My 5 Spd 2003 Corolla With 182000?

by twentythree109, December 15, 2013

Any recommendations on oil brands/types?

Royal Purple?

Any input is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Depends on your area (ambient temps), how you will be running the car, expected oil change intervals, what it has been running now, etc.

Need a bit more info - what sort of maintenance history do you have on the car? What oil you've been running before? Any issues that recently come up that prompted you to ask for advice on a forum board?

• 23 posts

I live in the cool & damp Pacific Northwest. We use Castrol synthetic (was "Syntec" but now they call it "Edge") 5-30 and genuine Toyota filters. Currently past 249,000 on the 5-speed 2007 Corolla CE with no oil usage and no drips.

If you really want to get into this, go to the Bobistheoilguy.com forum and learn more than you ever wanted to know about oil. BTW, after some discussion, we decided that, considering the synthetic oil and highway usage, we'd go from 5,000 mile changes to 7,500 mile oil change intervals (until recently, my wife was commuting 150 miles per day round trip). If weather, calendar interval and changing use pattern suggests it, we may go back to 5,000 mole changes.

5w30 Castrol GTX High Mileage is another great alternative. A little "thicker" than the 5w30 Valv HM.

In my '03 Corolla I use 5W-30 oil from Walmart which comes in a 20 litre pail and the Bosch oil filter.I have had no oil issues at all and the current mileage is 380000km and it runs like a top.Temperatures around here can range from +30 to -30 Celcius.

This model has a revised dipstick that adds about .4 qt to the oil capacity. If you use the 90915-yzzf1 filter (the taller one) it works out right at 4 1/2 quarts oil capacity at full mark which is 10 mm higher up the stick than the present mark.

The tsb is:

T-SB-0134-08 dated July 15, 2008.

I'm old school, and use a little thicker oil (5w40) to protect the valve train, and a premium Group-4 stock, such as Amsoil or Redline.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)