Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By twentythree109, December 6, 2013

2003 Corolla CE

I'm leaning towards the K&N Typhoon mainly because of price and I dont plan on doing too much other than JUST the intake for the car but I want to make sure I get the best one possible.

Just want to hear the opinions of those running those Intakes on any Toyota Corolla (1.8 1zzfe) between 2003-2008

Mainly want to go for a "performance sound" and nothing 'ricey' if you will.....

Any input is greatly appreciated in advance default_smile

So you want a short ram intake like K&N Typhoon, and not a cold air intake like the Injen I have (with UNI polyurethane filter)? How about a Weapon R SRI with polyurethane filter for better protection?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEAPON-R-DRAGON-Short-Ram-Air-Intake-03-08-Toyota-Corolla-S-FREE-FILTER-CLEANER-/251291874285?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2003%7CModel%3ACorolla&hash=item3a8229b3ed&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SECRET-WEAPON-R-Cold-Air-Intake-03-08-Toyota-Corolla-FREE-RAM-KIT-FILTER-CLEANR-/221191210743?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2003%7CModel%3ACorolla&hash=item33800606f7&vxp=mtr

I'll go short ram or cold air. Question is, what kind of power differences does each give you and what sounds better? I would believe because the short ram is...well shorter, it would give it a "throatier" sound???

What are your thoughts on your Injen Intake???

Sounds would be dependent on filter placement, material of the SRI or CAI, and filter material. In most respects - both make a fair amount of sound - you'll hear the intake noise, which might be good or bad, depending on your preference.

Power gains are minimal at best - generally better with a CAI than a SRI - but not always. A poorly designed CAI will not out perform a well designed SRI - difference in intake air temps are small at speed, Throttle response will be affected through, some have reported faster throttle response. The audible gains will be most significant. Just note that these metal tubular intakes tend to allow the VSV clicking noise to heard, sometimes quite loudly.

As far as brands - they are all pretty decent. Injen was the manufacturer for Toyota TRD aftermarket CAI intakes. K&N was the manufacturer for Toyota TRD aftermarket panel filters - looks the same, different color. That said - K&N, Injen, Weapon R, etc. - all done pretty well for the Corolla. Which one is best is more a personal matter.

Might get better gains by playing around with the resonator and/or muffler. I know the TRD exhaust is a bolt on replacement and owners are quite pleased with their sound. Pricey though. Should be able to find others - Magnflow, Borla, Greddy, etc. to give you that deeper sound.

Yeah I like my Injen CAI a lot... Runs well with smooth bored TB + thinned shaft, smooth matched intake manifold + inlet and exhaust ports, underdrive aluminum crankshaft pulley, JP header + 2.25" midpipe, 2.5" axle-back with Magnaflow muffler, Camcon, etc.

The best mod which works well with other mods for good power gains and audio quality is an exhaust header.

I hope yours is not automatic... What's your mileage, and does it burn a lotta oil?

Topic List