Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Engine Swap In 00 Corolla

by De Daddi October 28, 2013

See every reply in these pages:

I need to do a engine rebuild on my 1zz motor but I also was thinking of swapping it out for a 2zz I can get for 1300 from a 00 Celica with 50k miles. I know the 2zz makes btwn170-195hp stock depending on with car its in. I also know the harness is completely different but I contacted Phoenix tune and they can redo the harness for 600. Can someone tell me the best way to go. Thanks.I also know that the 2zz is higher compression but I can change out the piston right ?

Phoenix Tuning the way to go - that was one of the first groups to successfully complete an 8th gen Corolla 2ZZ-GE swap.

Not sure why you want to swap out the higher compression pistons - planning on boost in the future? If that is the case - keep the compression ratio - that old adage of running low compression pistons when running boost is no longer true. The key is in the tune. There are a number of 2ZZ-GE running stock compression or even higher 13.5:1 compression on boost.

So going the 2zz way u would recommend instead of rebuilding my 1zz and running boost. Do u know if my existing exhaust header will work on the 2zz. Motor?

For the 1zz build I was going to used my stock rods, forged wiseco piston 79.5 mm 10.1 compression ,new bearings thru out new gasket thru out, a stage 1 or 2 6 puck clutch and run like 6-10 psi of boost (don't know how much the stock rods can handle. Or is it wise to raise the compression on the 1zz to 11.1 or 12.1 and run all motor. How much more power u think I will gain doing either or compare to putting in the 2zz?

Exhaust manifold will be in the right place, but I don't think the bolt pattern will match. The 1ZZ-FE exhaust will choke the 2ZZ-GE anyways - so I would not recommend running it.

As for rebuilding a 1ZZ-FE + boost vs 2ZZ-GE N/A - depends on what you are after. The 2ZZ-GE takes to bolt-ons very well, compared to the 1ZZ-FE. But that doesn't mean the 1ZZ-FE is a bad motor to play with. For boosted applications - the 1ZZ-FE actually does pretty well. Not talking about 3SGTE sort of power - but 250-300WHP are not uncommon. With internal work - some have pushed 350-375WHP range with the 1ZZ-FE.

Running N/A 1ZZ-FE with higher compression pistons and matching cam, punch out the displacement to almost 2L - might be able to touch 180-200WHP, but that is probably the extent of it. Not a whole lot of material to play with, porting and polishing can't really be done. Can't do too much with the valves. I/E/H bolt-ons don't make big numbers, even with tuning. In comparison - a 2ZZ-GE might easily make 200WHP with light mods - some were able to push almost to 250WHP with a completely stock engine, all with tuning and good bolt-ons.

All boils down to how much you want to invest - time and money wise. If you want to run boost - more cost effective to stay with the 1ZZ-FE. Even in stock form - 10-12PSI is doable - all in the tuning. If you want to run all-motor - the 2ZZ-GE is a better platform to build from. Later on, if you want to run boost on the 2ZZ-GE - that is still doable.

Thanks man that's wat I was thinking the 2zz is the better bet power wise and maybe cheaper. The 2zz can even be opened up to a 2L, I think mwr did it. Like u said I can later turbo the 2zz, change the piston to lower compression ones etc. So I'll need a new manifold for exhaust , I hope it will line up to the magnaflow cat I'm running now if not ill cut and well.

So I'll need the 2zz header and the flex piece right with the 2 bolts and then I can just reuse the rest of my exhaust?

The exhaust was different as well. Might as well go custom, all mandrel bent piping - you'll already have to do some mods to make room for the exhaust manifold. Might have to cut into the lower portion of the firewall - as the 2ZZ-GE exhaust exits a lot straighter than the 1ZZ-FE. At this point - costs are pretty much a wash - but like you mentioned, if down the road you are looking for more power - the 2ZZ-GE is a much better platform to build power on.

Fortunately, with a resource like MWR around - there should be plenty of parts to pick for either the 1ZZ-FE or the 2ZZ-GE. Myself, I'm a little more biased toward the 2ZZ-GE, as it was a superb engine in stock form, good fuel economy, starts and runs like any smaller displacement engine. But once you get into lift, it literally pulls a Jekyll and Hyde. Much more pronounced than the crossover point in a VTEC. Engine wakes up and runs right up to the fuel cutoff if your late on the shift. Should try and test drive a car with the 2ZZ-GE to get a taste, if you haven't already tried.

So if I use all mandrel bend headers I won't have to cut into the firewall. U said u biased toward the 2zz so u prefer the 1zz?

Also how much can the 1zz stock rods hold? I know mwr say the crank can handle 500hp but I'm not sure how much the rods can hold ?

Stock rods - anything more that 300HP and you are really pressing your luck. Most choose to upgrade the rods with the pistons - what MWR said about the crank is correct - some 2ZZ-GE stroker kits use a 1ZZ-FE crank, because it is pretty tough.

As for not cutting into the firewall - hard to say. Stock 2ZZ-GE header setup will run into the firewall on the 1ZZ-FE Corolla. To get around that - you'll have to modify the front pipe on the exhaust manifold to clear the firewall - might be able get enough clearance by just "denting" the lower part of the firewall.

If you go with a custom header - than anything is possible. You can get that bent, routed any way you want - just have to pay for it.

So if I go with forged pistons and stock rods no the 1zz with new bearings, gasket and arp head bolts u think I'll be able to make above 200 ho or close?

So if I go with forged pistons and stock rods no the 1zz with new bearings, gasket and arp head bolts u think I'll be able to make above 200 ho or close?

On boost? Should be completely doable as long as the tune is good. 200WHP on stock rods is pretty safe.

Yea boost cause I don't think it can make that on all motor unlesa u can tell me how it posible. I'm all about motor.

Last night a eclipse(turbo stock) and I were at it. First run I had I'm by a car or so the second run I didn't get my third gear in in time but when I did I caught him. With 229650 mile that 00 corolla runs. I must say tho that c60 ix speed tranny is fun its get u up there in no time default_smile

What about transmission and axles, need upgrade or will 8th gen automatic handle the extra power of the 2ZZengine

I have the Celica gts tranny presently running with my 1zz motor. I'm running a axle from a 05 matrix and one from a 92.Celica st

Hey fish I think I'm going to just do a rebuild like u said, however tho. I found a deal (well atleast that's what I think) on some Carrillo rods and CP pistons. The only thing is that the compression ratio is 9.1 instead of 10.1 as stock. I'm going to turbo when I'm done building but not right away so I was wondering since the compression ratio is less than stock how much hp decrease would I encounter on driving it without the turbo untill l'm ready to do it? I know my tranny makes my engine rev up quickly cause of the way its geared(4.5).

If I get rods only its $680. Then I can get wiseco piston from mwr with 10.1 ratio(stock) for $545. Which totals $1300 compared to $1099 for the cp and Carrillo rod kit.

I was told by one the guys from mwr that my stock rods can hold up to 265 hp. I don't know if I should just get a rebuild kit from ebay with NPR pistons and just do that wat or spend the extra $$ (that I don't have ) and go with forged kit?

Any input would help thanks

With the drop in compression - the car will run a little off until you get it boosted. A drop from 10:1 to 9:1 isn't a huge change - but you can almost guarantee a 5-10WHP hit right away, assuming the powerband didn't shift. If it did - power drop will be quite a bit more pronounced.

As far as which way is best - depends on what power gains you ultimately want to see, or even if you'll stay with the car.

From some of my past project cars - best advice - spend what you can spare, but don't go all out. Set a sensible budget - then double it, as you won't stay on budget. Build up on what you plan to run immediately - planning for the future can be problematic. Build it all in one shot if you can - as you'll find that you'll only get one chance/plan for one build at a time.

Stuff can and will come up - will push this boosted project further down the road. I've seen a number of build where the owner ran on low compression pistons while they were waiting for boost. 1) They ran into either time or financial issues which sideline their boost project indefinitely, or 2) since the engine was "broken" in without boost - as soon as they ran boost, they broke something, which in turn lead them eventually to point #1.

Hi,

I found this topic very interesting since I am in the same situation. I have a 2001 corolla CE my engine is burning oil I check it many times is not leaking. I saw a video apparently these corollas from 98 to 02 have only 4 holes in the pistons and once they are sealed the engine burns oil. The car is not burning a lot, it does it slowly. Honestly, I don't understand why my car failed on me that way; I always take good care of it and it uses full synthetic oil. Anyway, my option is to change piston and rings or just the rings and drill holes and clean the old pistons; However, I wanted to turbo the car in the future, and I came across this forum.

Now my problem is I cant find forged pistons for the car, so I was wondering if 2zzge forged pistons can fit my 1zzfe. I also was wondering my auto transmission will have to be swap for a 5 speed manual since it is just a 3 speed transmission I don't think it will hold the power. I only want to reach 175 or 200 HP, so I am guessing I can go just 8 psi to be safe. Below are the piston characteristics.

K569M822ZZ82.00mm (Standard Bore)11.25:1

Any help is welcome

Automatic should hold under that amount of power, but you definitely want to run auxillary cooling to keep the ATF temperatures under control.

2ZZ-GE pistons are not interchangeable with the 1ZZ-FE - even though they have the same displacement (1.8L), the 1ZZ-FE uses a longer stroke and narrower piston compared to the 2ZZ-GE (1ZZ-FE = 79mm, 2ZZ-GE = 82mm). Surprised that you could not find any forged pistons for the 1ZZ-FE, Wiseco still makes a decent forged set - 0.5mm over.

Check out MonkeyWrenchRacing (http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/) - probably the best place to source aftermarket performance parts for the 1ZZ-FE and 2ZZ-GE, NA or boosted applications.

Thanks fish, I was looking at some other post where you guys mention the TRD Super charger. I read somewhere I could possibly make it fit in the 8th generation with some custom work but my question is do I need internals change like the forged pistons for this type of supercharger? , and you think my tranny will hold just like you said it would survive on a turbo charger in low psi? or just the supercharger and some tuning work plus making a whole on the hood and adding the scoope will be enough.

The TRD supercharger, if you can still find them, was a low boost variant. Added about 30-40HP tops in stock form, more if you modified the pulleys. With that sort of boost level, as long as you had the right engine management system in place and properly tuned, the rest of the engine could stay completely stock and be perfectly fine. The transaxle is another matter - with manual transaxles, be a good idea to upgrade to a slightly beefier clutch and pressure plate - to make sure the added power could get down to the wheels. On automatics - almost require auxillary cooling to make sure that fluid temps stay under control. Running at elevated temperatures will kill an automatic transaxle more quickly.

The real key in any power adder is the tune. Without a proper tune, even a low boost application will kill the engine. With a great tune, even those high revving, high compression 2ZZ-GE survived 10-12PSI boost on a stock engine. On a 1ZZ-FE, with a good tune, 8-10PSI on stock internals should be fine. The crank on the 1ZZ-FE is actually pretty strong, those running a 2ZZ-GE stroker project actually run a 1ZZ-FE crankshaft.

Oh I see, Yeah I was looking all over for those TRD Superchargers and I found out they were discontinued by Toyota. I wish there was an easier way to boost the car a little. The only intake that looks nice and apparently is perfect fit for the car is an injen short ram. However, short rams only put more hot air. I even though of extending the stock intake box so it could receive direct air through the upper grill, but I think is a very bad idea default_laugh. Will a piggy bag improve it without an exhaust and intake? or I need to have the three of them to actually see an improvement?

Short ram might still be worth it - heat soak is your main enemy there. Once the car is under way, the outside ambient and underhood temps are pretty close together. With a CAI, depending on where you live, hydrolock is a possibility. Modifying the stock intake is a mixed bag - some have gotten similar power gains of a CAI by removing the stock resonator (behind the bumper cover, between the fender and wheel well) and dropping in a free flow panel filter. Atleast it makes the same sort of noise as an aftermarket intake.

Adding a piggyback might be worthwhile - will need to find one that can control the VVT-i to get any appreciable gains. That means something like a CAMCON or similar. Problem is, these are non-trivial to tune. Unless you can find a garage to help you tune this - it would be a matter of you street tuning it, trail and error. This would also mean adding a wideband O2 sensor to help you tune it. The factory tune is pretty conservative. Optimizing it with a piggyback might yield 5+ HP gain.

The classic I/H/E (intake / headers / exhaust) doesn't generate decent gains on the 1ZZ-FE, as it is already pretty optimized. The exhaust manifold is already a tubular design - some Celica guys were able to port and polish it and get a couple of HP gain. Surprisingly, just bolting on a TRD muffler made a decent jump in power ~ 5HP. But that was on a Celica - same basic engine, but they have a different tune, different setup of intake and exhaust, and slightly oversized valves in the head. In case you were curious, yes, there were a number of owners that move the Celica GT ECM and intake/exhaust to a Corolla - gains achieved was basically zero. Intake mods are a mixed bag as well. Some have reported good results with a composite shorter length runner design of the 9th gen intake with their larger throttle bodies. Not a huge amount of power, couple of HP, but the real gains were in throttle response. The car sound and "felt" like it had more power.

Tune for I/H/E + piggyback - maybe look at 10HP gain, possibly more. The engine is just too optimized to get a lot from bolt-ons.

To really unlock some power, need to crack open up the engine. Aftermarket cams have shown good results for the least amount of work on the engine. Coupled with a good intake / header / exhaust + EMS - could be realistically looking at 20+HP gain. But at that point - might as well strip down the whole engine and rebuild it with higher CR pistons, P&P, etc. - go all out N/A. Or go the other directions and pump money into a forced induction project. Cheapest way to get more go is to go nitrous. Can always do a swap as well - couple of interesting possibilities - depends on amount of money and time you want to put into it.

The 1ZZ-FE is a great engine - but to get any tangible gains - you need to spend some serious amount of money on it.

Yeah I live in South Florida and from May to September rains almost 3 or 4 times during the week sometimes it gets flooded so yeah there is a high probability to get hydro locked the good thing is that the injen Short ram I wanted to buy also comes with a cover that prevents water to get inside. Honestly I want my car to have better response time during traffic time I want to be able to get in the next lane fast and safe. I usually drive it in the Highway almost everyday.

I was looking at all possibilities since eventually I have to open up the engine because of the oil burning problem. Turbo and super chargers are expensive and unsafe and I guess is not for a daily driven car. The option you just gave me sound safer, but I don't know if it really would be a cheaper than turbo charging it lol. Now my next question is changing the internal parts will mean basically switching from 1.8L to 2.0L by getting bigger bore and higher compression ratio pistons, and a lighter camshaft. Last question before I go to sleep I was going to do the engine rebuilt by myself with some supervision of a mechanic, but this new camshafts will have a different timing than the stocks or it will be like putting the stock camshafts? taking apart the engine takes time effort and patience but putting the stuff in the right timing is a little bit tricky since it is VVT-I

Lots of ways to go, if you don't want to run forced induction. You can keep the displacement the same or punch it to as much as 2.2L, though most tend to stay under that for engine longevity.

Replacement camshaft - just plug and play, you don't have to mess with anything on the timing side. Only thing that these aftermarket performance cams change is lift and duration. Timing will be uneffected, even with VVT-i in the mix. Some tuning will be required to make sure the cylinders get properly filled, also have to make sure that the lift isn't too high, as it could make contact with the piston. Remember that the 1ZZ-FE is an "interference engine" with a very tight taper squish designed combustion chamber. Choice of pistons, if you plan on oversizing the valves, shaving the head/block to raise compression, etc. - need to balance all this out.

Taking apart the engine isn't so bad - its getting back to get that this the hard part. You particular case, it is a perfect opportunity to look into engine mods - the engine has to come apart anyways, just depends on how elaborate you want to get with the mods. You are correct, you can easily spend the same amount or considerably more running a N/A engine vs a supercharger or turbocharger. As far as reliability - all boils down to the tune. If the tune is conservative - you can run a supercharger or turbocharger on a completely stock engine without any internal mods. Power won't be crazy high. but it will be more than what you have. If you want to build more power - completely possible with the 1ZZ-FE - just would take a small fortune to make it happen.

Take a peek at Monkey Wrench Racing - www.monkeywrenchracing.com - one of the few sites that cater specifically to the 1ZZ-FE / 2ZZ-GE engines. Their project cars have produced some staggering numbers - they list what they've done and how much it cost, so that people can get a handle on what it will cost them. If anything, be something good to price check against as your getting your wish list ready.

Topic List