Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2000 Toyota Corolla Ascent Seca 4S Auto Liftback

by cham, October 11, 2013

I bought a 2000 Toyota Corolla Ascent Seca 4S Auto Liftback. I searched the engine type of the model and came up as 7A-FE. The previous owner (owns it for 10 yrs) is not sure if he has changed the timing belt recently or not. The vehicle has done 139,000 km and out of that only 30,000 km was done in last 3-4 years. I've got couple of questions and your advises are highly appreciated.

[1]. How do I know, if I need to change the timing belt?

[2]. Is this engine a non-interference engine so that it wouldn't end in a catastrophe due to wrong timing?

Timing belt replacements are recommended roughly every 60,000 miles / 100,000 km. Can you run longer on the belt - anything is possible, but given most instances, it is not the belt that is the issue, it is timing belt tensioner/pulley/waterpump that are the likely culprits to shred a belt. That said - 130,000-160,000 km - probably be pushing you luck on the car.

Fortunately, the 7AFE is a non-interference type engine - if it lets go - the engine will just stop dead in its tracks, valves will be fine. The problem is you cannot guess where it might fail, as there are no warning signs when the belt will let go.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)