Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2005 Corolla Trunk Locked

By kulkarni_ash, September 23, 2013

kulkarni_ash

I have 2005 corolla with trunk locked,

they key nor the lever from inside car is opening it,

what might be the issue

When you say key opening - you mean with the remote on the key, or by physicially trying to open the trunk with the key?

Using the master key or the valet key?

Is the key opening on the trunk turned to horizontal - disable trunk release position? That will prevent the trunk release lever inside the car from opening the trunk. Just use the master key and rotate the key opening to the vertical position.

Possible that the locking mechanism is sticking or there is some debris stuck in there. If you have folding seats - you can try and get access that way. Some cases - you'll need to remove the rear seatback to get trunk access. There is a manual pull lever installed in all trunks now, right next to tthe locking mechanism/ Assuming the locking mechanism is still working, that will open the trunk.

If the locking mechanism is stuck - not a whole lot of options. Can try pushing down on the trunk lid - see if that loosens it up a bit. But can't get too aggressive or you'll end up damaging the trunk.

I'd try what Fish recommended. Have a '98 S10, and the hood wouldn't open. A neighbor of mine shoved down on it while I pulled the release from inside the cab, and it opened. You could also try applying some light oil (sewing machine oil) onto your key, and insert it into the lock to lubricate the mechanism. Couldn't hurt.

there has been a history of trunk lock problems... the dealerships know about this... I think you need new lock

the unit where the key goes in...it happened to my mother's solved with new lock...

the front hood issue is entirely a different matter.

there has been a history of trunk lock problems... the dealerships know about this... I think you need new lock

the unit where the key goes in...it happened to my mother's solved with new lock...

the front hood issue is entirely a different matter.

Fish mentioned shoving down on the trunk lid--most likely to provide any clearance for the lock mechanism to work, if a little clearance was possible--to compress the rubber stops and/or rubber seal. The mention of the hood of my truck was simply to illustrate the point.

that works for the hood...I've experiences with both problems

.. the front hood needs frequent lubrication.. albeit...the hood will sink lower and lower as it gets older...

fish is correct...he is always correct...

I have a 2004 Corolla in which the key stopped working for the trunk, but the inside lever still worked.

As Corollamike mentioned above, using a lubricant worked wonders - I squirted Liquid Wrench on the lock. At 1st it did nothing.

Then I opened the trunk to let the oil move around in the lock (I realize you may not be able to do this since your lever isn't working). Then I re-inserted the key and jiggled it. Suddenly, the lock started working. I kept turning it back & forth to ensure the lubricant was spread around.

That was at least 3 months ago and the lock has worked perfectly since. Liquid Wrench is specifically made to help release frozen bolts, so it is very thin and penetrates well. Also, because it is very light, it didn't "gum up" the lock. (other light lubricants might work as well - maybe DW 40?).

They make a dry film lubricant - some use a squeeze tube or aerosol graphite powder, some use a solvent that deposits teflon or similar inside the locking mechanism.

yes..I had problems on my trunk solved with lubricant.

fish is correct...but my mother's corolla could not be corrected this way.

I wanted to update with the above. Occasionally, I need to relubricant my lock - maybe every 6 mos.

A better way than I described above is to squirt some Liquid wrench in the crack above the lock so it drips into the lock. To describe the crack, if you follow it to the mid-line of the car, you'll see the Toyota symbol - this is the crack I'm talking about.

When using the above approach, the lock worked almost instantly. A light thin lubricant ensures it moves quickly into the lock, but doesn't gum it up.

• 2 posts

Here is a video tip I created for getting into a locked Corolla trunk from the back seat.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)