Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Rotten Egg Smell? 05 Corrola S

Guest ryanstwo

i have had the car for just under 2 weeks and it only has 600 miles on it. sometimes when im at a stop light with the windows down i smell something similar to rotten eggs. ive always heard that is what a cat. smells like. do i have a problem. maybe that is also why my milage is low (27mpg) with highway city mix. the smell is already getting old and its not even constant. anyone else have this problem or know what it could be?

ryan

Dai_Shan

Well there it is a known problem at toyota, something to do with the catylitic converter.

If you bring it in they can switch it for ya or someting like that. I havn't smelt anything like that after 7 months or so. Strange how its random like that.

Problem with the exhaust system could definilty hamper mpg.

Do a forum search for egg , or smell

This was supposed to have been fixed in 04. Shouldn't be affecting an 05.

Might want to try a different brand of fuel.

My 2 03's had the fix done. Improved but not a total fix.

Dai_Shan

Ah, i had been wondering if it was in the 05 models. sorry for the bad info...:-/

I wonder if this has anything to do with a modly cooling system...or filter. That smell usually doesn't approach the smell of a rotten egg....more of a dirty sock haha.

Guest ryanstwo

i get the sock and the egg smell.....i dont care what the tsbs say about it not being a 05 problem my mom who has read nothing about it pointed them both out to me. i deffinatly have a problem......i have tried 3 different brands of gas. no change. the tsb says that if the computer isnt throwing a code for it there is nothing they can do.......well im not driving a car like this. im already so sick of toyota.....my 91 mr2 is perfect but this car has been nothing but problems. i really wish i would have gone with the civic now

ryan

I'd press Toyota since they claim the problem's solved.

As sulphur levels in fuel are cut to comply with EPA regs, the problem should be reduced.

First, check your trunk for deviled eggs you may have forgotten. Then call your dealer. From everything I've heard, Toyota has addressed this problem in the recent models.

i get the sock and the egg smell.....i dont care what the tsbs say about it not being a 05 problem my mom who has read nothing about it pointed them both out to me. i deffinatly have a problem......i have tried 3 different brands of gas. no change. the tsb says that if the computer isnt throwing a code for it there is nothing they can do.......well im not driving a car like this. im already so sick of toyota.....my 91 mr2 is perfect but this car has been nothing but problems. i really wish i would have gone with the civic nowryan

The newer (01+) Civics aren't exactly problem free either. In fact, I've heard of people with 01+ Civics that have the exact same rotten egg smell in their car..

Topic List