Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Does The 2013 Synthetic Oil Change Interval Make Sense?

by BobLevine, July 20, 2013

Got the free Toyota maintenance with my new Corolla. Now at 3K miles.

The first free 5K service covers an oil change only under "severe" conditions when synthetic oil is specified for the car. I only drive in the city and feel my service is severe. Did 3K changes with conventional oil on my 2008.

I may fight since I do mostly short trips and might be able to justify the "severe" status.

So what do you members think? Is 10K a safe interval with synthetic or should I just do it every 5K? What are other 2013 owners doing?

When I worked at Mobil HQ and Mobil 1 was coming online, we tested NYC taxis with 25K intervals and all went well. However, the cabs run 24/7 and burn off impurities. No manufacturer would keep a warranty in effect unless their schedule was followed.

Thanks

I have No answers...I just got a Camry hybrid 1 yr oil changes at 10 k

0w 20

I've emailed my dealer's service manager asking for 5000 mile "severe service" changes. Will update with response..

Oil formulation now is superior compared to what they were even 5 years ago. Conventional dino oils now have also most the same thermal resistance and cleaning power of synthetics from two or three API formulations ago. Even in 100% stop and go traffic - even 5K miles won't make dino oil break a sweat. Not unusal to see dino oil run 7000-8000+ miles on a change under ideal conditions.

If someone wants to push 10K miles or beyond - that's a little more demanding, even with synthetics. Issue is not really with the oil, but with filtration needs. Eventually, the oil will become saturated with insoluables and will no longer be able to keep those particles suspended in solution. When they fall out - they turn to sludge. Even synthetics will see this at some point exactly when this happens, depends on the driving conditions and the engine.

I'd go ahead and tell the dealership to go to a more conservative oil change - if you feel you like that interval better. There is no one mileage fits all here - it is whatever fits your budget and your comfort level for maintenance. Running an oil change interval with synthetic motor oil - a non-issue IMO - any synthetic will be able to handle that, assuming that the engine is running well.

Just got the oil changed with synthetic at my dealership.

Will do 5K changes from now on. Every second will be free for 2 years with the Toyota plan.

Having your oil analyzed makes the most sense, you can see what shape your oil is at 5,000 miles!

Having your oil analyzed makes the most sense, you can see what shape your oil is at 5,000 miles!

What does that cost?

Thanks

Topic List