Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By 2KCorollaCE, July 16, 2013

My front end was making noise, didn't feel right, and just felt loose. I went to 2 chain places to get it diagnosed and one local shop. I"ll be doing the work myself along with my DIY best friend Manual Haynes. See what I did there? Hahahahaha. The consensus is this, I need to do front and back end suspension/steering work, (btw my 2000 CE has only 78,500 miles, all these repairs seem untimely too much, I don't drive nuts, is this normal? Previous owner? the 16" aftermarket rims are responsible?):

0) Rear Hub Assemblies (I've done this b4 once, (and the front also), so no biggie easy)

1) Lower Control Arms (Both)

2) Inner Tie Rod (Just Left) - Should I do the right one as well?

NOW, the following I'm uncertain about whether these parts are all together, separate, and the order of operation, as to not repeatedly have to remove the same bolts/nuts 2 or 3 times:

3) Sway Bar Links (Kit?) - Front and Rear

4) Link Pins - All: Front and Rear, Left and Right

5) Front Lower Control Arm Bushings - Rear (this is how it is written on my estimate, as strange as this looks)

6) Stabilizer Bars?

7) Ball Joints?

ALSO: is there anything else I should INSPECT/REPLACE while I'm working on the above? are there any MODS/PERFORMANCE UPGRADES I should/could do while I'm doing this?

Please state what the order of operation should be.

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH Toyotaville!

btw: http://www.haynes.com/ <<< complete manuals are a life/time saver y'all!

Toyota always tended to run a little soft in the suspension - so given the age of the car, how the previous owner ran it, how it was garaged, etc. - not completely unusual for the suspension to need some work. 16" wheels - shouldn't be an issue unless you ran an offset that is outside of the acceptable range.

Also - you may not need to replace all that you listed there, Be a good idea to give the suspension a good visual inspection. Look for obvious signs of damage, worn/torn bushings, abnormal leaks, missing parts, etc.

Swaybar links and bushings are known to be main source of front end noise and suspension play. Lower control arm and ball joints wearing out is unusual - want to check that out for yourself. Bushing there is hard to see - they can distort over this amount of time. That point - just easier to replace the whole lower control arm. You can just replace the bushings, but total PITA - have to burn them out.

Link pins? Never heard of that term before on the Corolla. VW / Porsche - sure, but not Toyota.

No mention of wheel bearings - some people have had more problems with those that others. How's the strut/coil springs looking? Spring isolator pad still there?

thanks fish,

the wheel bearings were done in spring of 2012. front and back. the bearings/hub in the rear needs to be done AGAIN, cheap part i assume, it's under warranty, they just sent me a new pair for the rear, the front is good.

the struts were changed 15,000 miles ago.

1) the spring i don't know, it's OEM, how would i check it? nobody has ever even stated anything the spring, i assume it's good to go, and it's been to at least 10 shops the last 4+ years, 4 recently.

2) this spring isolator pad you speak of, where is it/how do i check it?

default_cool

Springs - you basically measure the static ride height. If the car has dropped significantly on OEM springs, then your springs might be too weak. You can get a mileage/life out of a spring - but also depends on what the car saw usage wise. If you carry a lot of weight or drive on rough roads, those can shorten their life. If you notice the car's suspension bottoming out where it didn't before - might be time for fresh springs.

Spring isolator pad - looks like a rubber gasket between the spring and the strut housing. They look something like this:

Just a visual check - see how worn out the isolator is. Some cases, the isolator is completely gone - dry rotted to the point of completely disintegrating.

ok Toyotaville,

so it's been decided, i'm going to be doing all this work MYSELF on my 2000 corolla CE w/ 78k on it:

BOTH lower control armsBOTH inner tie rod endsBOTH front sway bar linksBOTH rear sway bar links

QUESTION: >>> As far as parts, I'm thinking of going with ALL MOOG. is this a good choice? what other brands would be better?

i'm looking for PREMIUM and/or PERFORMANCE parts. i'd prefere a comfortable ride with longevity than a sporty ride, get both if possible. i don't want the cheap or average shiz as far as parts. i want the good stuff. i will NOT be lowering my corolla, racing it, or playing with anything. i just got factory 14" rims for it down from 16" rims.

BTW - i was about to buy parts locally when i noticed the same parts online for almost HALF OFF! amazing!

suggestions please? thanx gang.

hey everyone,

in what order does it make sense to do these repairs, as to NOT repeat work - say take off the same bolts twice and such?

BOTH lower control arms

BOTH inner tie rod ends

BOTH front sway bar links

BOTH rear sway bar links

1) the above repairs are the sum of 3 estimates from repair shops, so i know this stuff "needs" to be replaced. are the BALL JOINTS assumed to be ok (if they didn't list them), or are they part (included when i buy) of a NEW Lower Control Arm part? hmmmm.

2) while i'm at it, i was thinking of changing out the stabilizer bar bushings to premium new ones, they are cheap. what do y'all think?

thanx ahead of time!

1- Check for free play at ball joint... Ball joint is not included with control arm.

2- Yes.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)