Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By ToyoTom, July 1, 2013

Hi, all. This is my first post, but I've been driving Toyota pickups and a Corolla for about 30 years.

SUBJECT VEHICLE: 1995 Corolla DX stationwagon (1.8L)

I'm replacing the STARTER SOLENOID's copper contacts. I've pulled the starter and opened the contacts compartment.

There's a WHITE PAPER SHIM behind the right-side contact (see photo). It's like a waxed paper, and is very thin - a few thousands of an inch, I'd say. It seems to position that contact slightly closer to the spinning plunger, but as you can see, the contacts have worn very unevenly. The right-hand contact is nearly worn through, while the left contact exhibits almost no wear at all.

I'm replacing both contacts and the plunger with this kit.

QUESTION: Should I leave that shim in place when installing the new contacts and plunger?

My guess is that it'll make no real difference, considering how uneven the wear has been (and I'm told uneven wear is normal for these things). My guess it that I should remove that shim...but I have zero experience at this, so I'm asking you guys. Thanks

Might want to wait for the 7th gen guys to post up, to be sure, But I've seen Denso solenoids without the paper shim - so you should be OK with not replacing the paper shim - as you mentioned, there to push it closer to the plunger.

Might be something specific to a model year or manufacturer. My own Dodge truck starter (MOPAR uses Nippon Denso starters) looks almost exactly like your - sans the shim, and both the contacts were worn, with the wider one worn slightly more than the other. Used a similar kit to replace the copper contacts - no issues so far.

Thanks, fishexpo101.

I installed the new contacts last evening, and have to remount/reinstall the starter this morning.

I left the shim in place.

It's a bear trying to work in that tight engine compartment, so I hope leaving the shim in place causes no problems.

I'll post my results.

I reinstalled the starter (not easy working by myself with the car on jack stands). Before I removed it, the starter was covered in oil/grime goo running down the back of the engine; that turned out to be due to a very hardened PCV rubber grommet that was letting oil out, and air in. So I replaced that grommet, too.

Turn the key: VRRRROOOOM!

It runs great. The idle had been kinda choppy for months, I guess due to the oil leak around the PCV.

If you have more trouble with the starter, I'd check two additional things. First check the solder connections in the starter and see if they are conducting well. Second check that the blobs of soldier don't have a chance of rubbing against the piston I had a starter where one of the soldier blobs would occasionally catch the piston and keeping from springing all the way back.

Topic List