Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Error Code P0741.. Help?..

By cheevue, June 3, 2013

My 2004 corolla s has this error code? How do I fix it?

This is a known issue on certain 2004-2005 Corollas from the NUMMI plant in Cali. VIN starts with 1NXBR3.

Here is a PDF link to the TSB - http://noes.net/p0741.pdf - the repair isn't that complicated, but you'll need access to a Toyota scan tool to reflash the ECM and PCM. That cannot be done with aftermarket tools, need the Toyota Diagnostic Tester and Diagnostic Programmer card.

If it popped up earlier, this would have been fully warrantied, right now - best to see what the dealership can do for you. Might be able to get a dealership "good will" repair - I've gotten them in the past, where dealership will cover the cost, like it was under warranty - you just have to pay the diagnostic fee (usually about $85). Still stinks, but better than ponying up $3000+

So without the warranty now how much do you think repairs will cost?

Depends if they need to crack the transaxle open or if it can be dealt with just the sensors or PCM reflash. Could be anything from an $85 fix to $3000+ (replace the transaxle). If you let this go and keep driving, then there is a remote possibility that this will cause permanent damage. That point, you are definitely looking at a transaxle replacement.

Can't say exactly how to fix it - as the situations that could trigger a P0741 vary wildly. Could be that it needs the revised speed sensor, reprogram the PCM, or replace the entire transaxle - there is a checklist that they have to run down to see what does what. From what I gathered online, sometimes it just takes fresh ATF fluid to "fix" the problem, others are a bit more involved. Some keep driving the car with no mechanical issues other than a possible loss of 1-2MPG of fuel economy. Others see their transaxle completely seize or the case actually cracks and leaks ATF.

Depending on the mileage and when and how the transaxle was last serviced - this will determine the next course of actions.

My friend changed his transmission fluid and is now getting this code.

He filled it up and checked it with the engine off.

I think that would be under filled. Does the Level go down when checking the correct way with the engine running?

Could over filling or under filling cause a p0741?

It is a 2005 corolla automatic.

He only drained the pan? Which model, and how much did he put in to refill? Was the engine started before checking level, and for how long?

If you check the fluid level after the engine has been off for a long time, fluid from the torque converter will drain back into the pan area where the level is measured and give you a false high reading. When the engine is started, the fluid in the pan area is used to fully charge the transmission and torque converter. Also, the difference of fluid temperature will affect the measurement. The fluid volume expands when heated to operating temperature. There is a cold and hot level line on the dipstick.

Always check the fluid level with the engine running (except Honda), the transmission in "park" (except Dodge products which should be in neutral with the emergency brake applied), and with the engine at operating temperature. Remove the dipstick and wipe with a rag. Insert the stick fully and remove. Look at both sides of the stick to verify the same indication. Repeat the process.

The reason to check both sides of the dipstick is that after the fluid circulates through the transmission, it dumps back into the pan area and will cause an agitation of the fluid. This creates an uneven level and some fluid will "slosh" onto the stick and give a false reading. Some transmissions are worse than others.

http://www.bgstransmissions.com/answers.htm

He only drained the pan and he doesn't know how much he replaced it with.

He checked it with the engine still off.

I told him to check it with the engine running. And that it is probably low.

Yup, with the engine off - a "full" transaxle would read high on the dipstick. If he only filled to the full mark with the engine off, he is actually pretty low on fluid.

Fill it up and check levels with the car running - see if that "fixes" his issue.

Thanks guys.

I'm waiting for him to check the fluid and add the correct amount.

I did not clear his codes. One is pending one is current. And there is one that is stored. All the same code. Maybe if filling it corrects the problem and the light goes off, I'll clear the codes.

Topic List