Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Creaking In Rear Suspension-1998 Corolla 143K

By NILLINOIS, May 31, 2013

Howdy guys..it's been a while since i've been on here ( due to i really haven't had any issues over the last year ).

I've been hearing some creaking in the rear and want to confirm what's probably the culprit.

I replaced both sway bar links and struts a couple years ago. I'm a big fan of Scotty Kilmer on youtube, and watched one of his videos where he said a creaking noise can come from the sway bar bushings. He shows how to correct with lithium grease.

I was considering spraying the rear sway bar bushings with silicone lube and see if the creaking stops..if it does, i'll drop the brackets and add some lithium grease to the bushings.

What other components can cause creaking sound? Strut mounts? Rear Control Arm?

Usually the bushings are the culprit - depends on what the creaking noise sounds like. If it sounds like an obvious scraping sound + creaking - could be due mechanical obstruction/contact. Sometimes the coil springs touch the strut tube - causing noise. Lower control arm bushing can creak. Sometimes the creaking source is from a different part of the car (front control arms / front sways) and just has the noise transmit down the body. I've had worn exhaust hangers make noise on my older cars - one had a loose gas tank straps that made a creaking noise as well. Depending on the generation (I'm assuming you are talking about your 8th gen) - sometimes it is something completely different, like the glass stoppers on the 9th gen cause weird creaking noises.

I'd hit the rear sway bushing first and go from there.

ahh thamls fish..i'll put it on jack stands this weekend and post back results.

I see you've been enjoying the moderator status i nominated you for..lol

Well, just a follow-up..of course the creaking sound stopped right after i noticed it. I had a friend come by who's a mechanic take a look at them and he said indeed the bushings are shot. Considering a pair of sway bar bushings are around $10 i'll probably just do them over the summer sometime. I'll be sure to take pics and perhaps write up a tek on it. Cheers.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)