Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2012 Corolla Oil Choice

by ever_green, May 24, 2013

ever_green

With my previous 00 corolla I used to run german castrol 0w-30 and it loved it. No burning, no smell and smooth operation. However GC are getting harder to find on sale and it would cost me $60 to do an oil change with GC here. On the other hand I can get rotella T6 5w-40 for $40 including a purolator classic filter.

I have been running 5w-40 T6 in my subaru for about a year with no issues, it loves that oil. there is less valve noise (almost none) and the fuel economy is not affected. I'm just wondering if it's a good fit for my corolla as I have never heard any corollas using this. Oh and I really rev the hell out of my car sometimes, redline shifting, engine braking, you name it.

ever_green

says 5w_20 on my oil cap. ambient temps will be ~30'c or above. high humidity. i read in my manual that 5w40 can be used for severe conditions (towing, hot climates etc). my oil temps usually hang around 100-105'c on the highway. coolant 88'c cruising or 95'c idle. i will be doing mostly city driving.

ever_green

The switch to 5w-20 was for mainly for fuel economy gains, you can run a heavier weight (within in reason) - might just see less efficiecny. Much of it is dependant on the conditions and the engine itself. Some engines like a thinner or thicker oil.

The 2ZZ-GE guys swear by 15w-40 in the engine - which I would personally feel be counter intuitive on a high revving engine, but they say their engine likes it. The difference in thickness between a 20 weight and 40 weight oil at operating temp is not grossly different, ie. a 40 weight will not be twice as "thick" as a 20 weight.

The rating is for the SAE viscosity - many attribute it to the informal notion of "thickness" - but that can be interpreted a bunch of ways, usually wrong in the case of lubricants. Best to think of it as the resistance of a fluid to deformation by an outside stress/shear.

Rotella T6 is great oil - a tad bit too thick for my needs, but an oil on my short list to run in an engine that tends to be hard on oil (ie, turbocharged, boxer engine designs, project engine, track car, etc.). Just double check how much phosphorus they use for an additive. Its an EP additive (extreme pressure) but also has a bad reputation for killing catalytic converter fast. Hence why the lastest blends of oils have pretty much little to zero phosphorus in their additive pack. Same with zinc and moly - both great for protection, but falling out in favor of more exotic additives.

ever_green

hi fish here is a virgin oil analysis for the t6 5w40.

it has phosphorus. but every voa i have seen does too. im not a fan of phosphor, i can actually smell it under WOT or that might be the ones in gas. anyway you're right the 100c viscosity is only 13.4 csu which is only slightly higher than GC 0w-30 12.7 (5%). are you saying that i will lose top end power running t6 compared to a dino 5w-20? my primary concern is engine protection.

I would highly recommend Amsoil Signature series. We have a 06' Kia Spectra which I successfully ran for over 25k miles with the same Amsoil oil and just a Napa WIX filter. I have just put some Amsoil into my 2010 Corolla and a Amsoil EA Filter too. I mostly do highway driving so I hope the high end amsoil filter will live up to its name. It cost me about ~90 for the oil, filter and flush.

hi fish here is a virgin oil analysis for the t6 5w40.

it has phosphorus. but every voa i have seen does too. im not a fan of phosphor, i can actually smell it under WOT or that might be the ones in gas. anyway you're right the 100c viscosity is only 13.4 csu which is only slightly higher than GC 0w-30 12.7 (5%). are you saying that i will lose top end power running t6 compared to a dino 5w-20? my primary concern is engine protection.

Additive package looks really strong - typical for a diesel oil. I woudn't worry too much of the phosphorus - unless the engine is drinking oil heavily - should have quite a ways before it will poison the cat.

Oil protection wise - the additive package will take care of combustion byproducts and the amount of moly and zinc will help with low oil/no oil contacts - this oil is pretty good stuff. Power wise - harder to say. Some engine like added oil pressures from the higher viscosities, some don't.

IMO, the amount of power you might lose will be quite minimal, if at all - the trade off with running a stouter oil for engine protection will far outstrip any potential loss of top end power.

ever_green

amsoil would cost me 2x the cash. not worth it imo i doubt engine would know the difference.

fish i know my subaru loves high oil pressure, in fact they are famous for throwing low oil pressure codes with thin oil. so i guess i've been doing the right thing running thicker oil there. my 1zzfe 00 corolla warm idled at 5psi. my impreza does so about 10psi. so i dont think corollas need higher weight really.

In your hot conditions, I'd probably run 5W-30 (or 0W-30) in the 2012 Corolla. The original oil is the only 5W-20 it ran on? Castrol's German 0W-30 does in fact have a higher viscosity at operating temp compared to other W-30 oils.

I just got a few gallons (4 US quart containers) of Castrol Hypuron semi-synthetic 15W-40 on liquidation for $7.00 each ($1.75/US quart) at Walmart Canada... Great for ATV, motorcycle, mower tractor, Subaru, etc

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/671000D0EACBD9B580257AA900534084/$File/HypuronCJ41850.pdf

Topic List