Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

What Kind Of Cd Will Work On A 2004 Corolla S?

by cheevue, May 23, 2013

What kind of CD will work on a 2004 corolla s? I have tried CD-R but it does not work. help!

It involves more that just the right media. You need to have compatible media, optical burner, software, and a little luck.

There are some burned CDs that won't work - many times, you have to see if the CD-R media is "audio" ready. Also make sure that your authoring/burning software can burn Audio files on a CD, make sure that the CD-burner is on the approved list to burn audio media. These media do not allow for "overburning" - which is OK for data, but doesn't work for audio use. Usually these discs mention 74 minutes (650MB) of capacity - many are now 80 minutes (700MB) of capacity. Usually hit of miss with the larger ones. If you stick with a reputable brand name - usually works out better. Also burning the CD at a lower speed can sometimes help - some cases, burning a 1x or 2x speed will produce a disc that can be played.

I'm assuming you have the OEM CD player in the car and not an aftermarket one? Note that almost all the CD units in those Corollas only play "regular" CD files, cannot play MP3s or other compressed audio. Sometims a dirty lense on the target CD player can give you a hardtime. So if your burned discs don't work but storebought pressed media works - try cleaning the headunit first.

Are you trying to play a known good music CD? Borrow one if you can.

Yes fishexpo101 my corolla has the stock cd player and it just doesnt play any of my burned cd-r disc, it says error 1 sometimes but other then that it just spits it back out, im thinking of getting an aftermarket deck but im not sure if a single din can fit into the stock stereo since the single din is skinnier and smaller

Sonix i am trying to play music that i burned off my computer

Does the music play on another CD player? I'm just trying to see if you are exporting the files correctly. You need burner software, not just a copy. The CD in my rolla works fine, but I don't use it because I use my Android phone as the player.

Yes all my Cds works fine in my 1996 Toyota T100 but not in my 04 corolla, and I burn my Cd's from itunes, do you think that might be the problem?

Have you tried commercial pressed CD's? Not your burned ones - need to see if there is an issue with the 2004 Corolla CD player. Error 1 - usually indicates a problem with the CD. If you can play pressed media (store bought CDs) but not the burned ones - then it is likely something wrong with the burn. Try burning the media outside of iTunes application - or if you can't, burn at the slowest speed possible.

If it still has issues with the burned media - might just need to be cleaned - there are a number of CD lense cleaning supplies out there, see if cleaning restores functionality.

If all this still doesn't fix the issue - you likely have a damaged CD player and will have to look into replacing it.

No I haven't tried commercial CDs yet, and I was thinking of changing my stereo to a single din but wasn't sure if that would work also because the stock stereo looks like a double din

In the interest of solving the problem, it may be important to just buy a cheap CD at Walmart. Your problem could be the protection that iTunes adds, amongst other reasons. It also may be that your burner software isn't working right, or you don't know how to use it. The reason I am responding to this thread is because the same thing happened to me. In the end, a 15 year old solved the problem, and told me what software to buy.

Sonix I will try to use a different burner programming to see if it works

4th gear does any single din stereo work or would I have to buy a specific one?

"4th Gear" is my member status, according to number of posts, as you are still in "Neutral".

Yes, any single DIN should work... Which ones are you looking at, or considering?

Yeah I'm still neutral,

I've heard that a metro kit would fit the 04 corolla but I'm not sure and I'm looking at just regular single dins like the ones at Walmart

Yes I have a Metra single DIN which fits perfectly. They also have a double DIN kit available.

http://www.metraonline.com/vfg

Sony usually don't accept burned CD's... JVC, Kenwood, and Pioneer do work with burned CD's. I'm not sure about the other brands.

Did you have to buy different wirings for it?

You don't have to, but you can get a harness to avoid cutting into the stock wiring. It's probably available at Walmart.

Metra's # 71-1761

OEM HARNESS TOYOTA 87-UP

http://www.metraonline.com/part/71-1761

"4th Gear" is my member status, according to number of posts, as you are still in "Neutral".

Yes, any single DIN should work... Which ones are you looking at, or considering?

Dom, I have a question for you, this probably isn't the right forum, so if any mods see this please tell me where. But I'm wondering if there is a kit for an Android tablet. I currently have a XOOM (to big), but will be getting a Nexus 7 2 when they come out. If the tablet can be mounted inside of a DIN kit it would be a killer player, car puter, scan tool, and navigation unit.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)