Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Very Annoying Squeak 2008 Corolla

by imperialman67, May 12, 2013

Out of the blue this past week my wifes pampered 60,000 mile 2008 Corolla developed an annoying squeak. It is in the rear parcel shelf and presents itself over semi rough roads, which is most Minnesota driving ,

This annoying squeak sounds the same as styrofoam would rubbing against its self. With her driving,and myself in the back seat I have tried pressing on the rear shelf in different spots, opening, closing rear seat backs, and checking for any loose push connecters from inside the trunk.

All to no avail

Has anyone else dealt with this on their Corolla?

Spare tire loose a little maybe?

I will check, but it sounds like it is coming from the parcel shelf its self.

Very annoying and unToyota like

The rear gasket is known to be a problem area on the 9th gen Corollas - as pointed out in dom's youtube link. The sail panel area (sides of the car, adjacent to the rear windows), are also another source for squeaking noise. Some have been able to eliminate the noise by adding additional material behind the sail area - pushing panel out just slightly to take up any space that coudl translate to squeaking.

Thank you for the Dom, and Fishexpo for the advice. I did try the extra insulation behind the drivers side sail panel to no avail default_sad.

After more riding in the back seat ,than I care to do I have concluded

1) No matter where I press on the parcel shelf/ window/ sail panels/ I can not make the squeak stop.

2) The squeak is more predominent in warm weather.

3) The squeak though drivers side "seems" to come from the entire parcel shelf and window area.

Tonight I am going to try the TSB cure. I have nothing to lose I guess except a rear window.....

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)