Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2002 Corolla Drivers Side Door Issues

by DaBuzz, May 7, 2013

I can not open the drivers side door from the outside, the mechanism inside is broken. (I CAN still open it from the inside, however)

Has anyone had this problem? What was the cause? Was it alot of money to repair?

FWIW, the car is otherwise perfect in every way. 125,000 miles, looks and runs great. Never had an issue until now, I get all the oil changes and recommended services performed. I plan on keeping it at least another 5-7 years.

Sounds like the control arm got detached from the outside handle, as the locking actuator uses rods to lock/unlock.

Could be a number of things, from a bent control rod, nylon clip that fell off the control rod, or mechanical damage to the exterior door handle (cracked plastic on the inside) or to the lock assembly itself. Won't know until you peel that inside door liner from the door.

Not too bad to take off, just have to remove the control panel (power locks, power windows) and arm rest to get at the hidden screws - single screw on the inside door panel, rotate that out to get at its control arm plastic clip, remove window regulator lever arm clip, if you have non-power windows. Then slowly work around the bottom and sides of the door panel to release it from the plastic trim clips (use trim tool, putty knife or wide, flat screwdriver - you will be able to see the clips once you pry up the door a bit).

Then the vapor barrier needs to come off - peel it off carefully, and you can reattach it later. Should give you a good shot at the locking mechanism.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)