Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2006 Corolla Spark Plugs At 120K

by trckn4life, April 4, 2013

Hello, I am new to the forum. My wife and I have a 2006 corolla. It just hit 120k and I'm due for replacing the spark plugs. What spark plugs are good to get for this car? Should I put a little anti seize on the threads?

Also, what is the best way to know which engine you have (Vin)? Any other maintenance that should be done?

Welcome to the forums!

What trim level is the Corolla - base, CE, LE, S, XRS? XRS would have a 6-speed manual transaxle only, other the other trims will have either a 4-speed automatic or 5-speed manual.

As for the plugs - depends on how long you want the replacement set to last. If you like the long life of the OEM plugs, then replace them with the OEM plugs. Prices vary quite a bit, I've seen them listed from $8 each to as much as $24 each. The OEM plugs are either from Denso or NGK - long life iridium plugs. They make cheaper replacements, also iridium plugs - but those typically last between 30K to 60K miles only.

I'd avoid the anti-seize - there is a much greater chance that you could get too much on the plugs, which can lead to problems down the road. If you must use anti-seize, use it very sparingly and keep it to the top most threads, closest to the body of the plug.

As for other maintenance, depends on what else has been done to the car - what trim level, transaxle is in it. Since you are already at 120K miles in a 2006 model - probably mostly highway driving, which can really stretch out the life of parts. IMO, still better to err on the side of caution and stick with more conservative maintenance intervals.

Lots of discussion on this forum, also should be laid out in the manufacturer's suggested maintenance (Toyota's not the dealership). If you don't have this booklet - you can view a PDF version of it online at the Toyota main website under Owners tab.

Hello, thanks for the info. Our corolla is an LE, automatic. The miles are mostly highway.

I think ours has the 1zzfe...I think.

The brakes sometime screech or are a little loud, but they are not down to the metal and we had two shops look at that...and both said it was fine.

You absolutely have the 1ZZ-FE engine.

Your front brake pad grooves may just need to be cleaned out, and the slide pins could be cleaned and re-lubed.

Do you need to use a torque wrench to tighten it to specific specs? I have a wrench but not a torque wrench.

Bad_dude

Sorry to ask this question on your thread but my 99 Corolla VE is screeching like mad early morning or when the pads are not yet warmed up. Could you specify pad grooves? Is it the clips where the end of the pads are held on? Would those rubbery spray on the pad helps? About the fluid in the reservoir, I replace less than 2 years ago and it now darken, could I just suck it out and replace just what is in the reservoir?

Thanks.

You absolutely have the 1ZZ-FE engine.

Your front brake pad grooves may just need to be cleaned out, and the slide pins could be cleaned and re-lubed.

Do you need to use a torque wrench to tighten it to specific specs? I have a wrench but not a torque wrench.

I do it by feel, from experience... Without a torque wrench, new spark plugs can be tightened 1/2 turn after snugging them by hand without the ratchet handle. Previously installed spark plugs are tightened only 1/12 turn, because the gasket is already compressed.

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/qa/q18/index.html

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)