Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2005 Corolla Engine Cover Nut

Guest Woodpecker50

I have a 2005 Corolla. I was going to replace the sparkplugs. There are 2 10mm acorn nuts holding the engine cover on. One of them just spins without coming off. Does anyone have some insight/tips for me? It just spins and does not loosen. I did get the other off the stud. Thanks Dave

Bad_dude

The stud must have broken off from the bottom inside the cover. If you have a new valve cover gasket or your current gasket is relatively new, you can replace the stud. The torque on those is around 7-10 ft/lb. Do not torque more or that would happen.

The stud is probably turning with the acorn nut. Unscrew it all the way and pull engine cover off. You can then separate the stud from the nut, reinstall stud in valve cover with some Loctite on threads, then reinstall cover with anti-seize compound on acorn nut threads. You could just stick it back in the way it is with the nut still on the stud, but you'd eventually strip the aluminum threads in valve cover, and wear out the nut's plastic cover seat.... Did you already remove the two rear plastic retainers?

Do NOT apply anti-seize compound to spark plug threads.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/tb-0630111antisieze.pdf

Guest Woodpecker50

Thanks guys.........problem solved. I am rusty. What about the 2 plastic fasteners at the back of the cover? How are these best removed? Thanks Dave Specht

The 2 plastic fasteners usually break when they are pried off, and the cover is usually left that way without them.

Bad_dude

Oh No. I use antiseize on both my Corolla and Accord. It's too late now. Should I take the plugs off and try to remove the compound? Problem is the heat might have melted already inside the chambers. No wonder every time I remove the plugs there are some light brown dry crust on the threads.

Thanks Dom again.

The stud is probably turning with the acorn nut. Unscrew it all the way and pull engine cover off. You can then separate the stud from the nut, reinstall stud in valve cover with some Loctite on threads, then reinstall cover with anti-seize compound on acorn nut threads. You could just stick it back in the way it is with the nut still on the stud, but you'd eventually strip the aluminum threads in valve cover, and wear out the nut's plastic cover seat.... Did you already remove the two rear plastic retainers?

Do NOT apply anti-seize compound to spark plug threads.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/tb-0630111antisieze.pdf

No, just leave them in now until you have to remove them..

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)