Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest davies.t1

2006 Odometer Issue

Guest davies.t1

Guest davies.t1

Hello there, I have a 2006 Corolla and it has 299999 km. on it. It has had 299999 km on it for a few days. Meanwhile, trip odometers are ticking on correctly. Just the main odometer has stopped ticking. Anyone out there know what I might do about this issue. Not burning for me. As far as the car goes, it seems to have stopped kilometer aging. Many thanks, Tom

There are quite a few in the same situation as you. The issue is with the main electronic odometer - it was designed to stop at 300000 km. Not sure if that was a Toyota decision or from the vendor of the odometer electronics. Only affect Corolla/Matrix models in the 2003-2008 model year. The only recourse is to replace the odometer with a new one and make note of the mileage at that time. As you noted, the trip odometers are still ticking along.

Guest davies.t1

Guest davies.t1

Thank you. If it is pervasive, why not recall the situation. I have been more than pleased with the performance of this car, and Toyota's service in general, but you would think that this is a real time issue that although does not effect performance, it offers an unrealistic snapshot of an older cars true praisworthiness, (for good or bad)

Good point - I was surprised that Toyota didn't even offer to replace the affected units on their dime either, they made the owner cough up the hundreds of dollars to replace the gauge. At the very least give the owners a mileage medallion, like what Mercedes does.

Also of note, not just restricted to the 9th gen Corolla/Matrix/Vibe - but also the Prius owners have run into this as well. They just go by their trip to keep track of the mileage - but of interest, their 5000 mile oil change reminders also stopped working after 299999km. For some reason, I don't think this affects units sold to markets following the SAE measurements (ie. miles instead of kilometers).

Guest heavenbound

I too have a 2006 Corolla and it just stopped at 299999 miles. It has been a great car. I had to have the computer replaced in 2008 and was reimbursed by Toyota. I replaced the front brakes at 206000 and still have not replaced the back brakes. Too bad Toyota still think they can hide behind the post and we won't see them hiding issues.

did not turn to 300,000...

It stayed right there at the 299,999 mark and never moved from there so I called Toyota Canada and asked them point blank how they plan on fixing this known problem. Toyota Canada said to call my dealer and see if they can help, so I did. They will be putting a complete new cluster in my car next week and the cost to me is 0.0 ..

What I was told is if you hit 299,999 before 5 years after purchase date then it's a free replacement but if you hit 299,999 after the 5 years you will only get the cluster and you have to install or pay the dealer to install.

http://www.wheels.ca/Columns/article/32130

Oxymoron from 9th gen contacted Toyota in July 2006:

"I've been going back and forth via email with Toyota on this issue. They finally opened up a case number for my issue and eventually came back with this response.

Dear Mr X:

Thank you for contacting our Customer Interaction Centre. We apologize for the delay in our response.

We have received your inquiry regarding the odometer on your 2003 Corolla. Since your Corolla only currently has 150,000 km on the odometer, we cannot review your request at this time. We would kindly ask that you communicate with us again once your vehicle reaches the 300,000 km point.

Mr X, we trust this information will be of assistance to you.

Yours truly,

Melissa Leroux

Consultant, Customer Interaction Centre

Unbelievable! Just to give you an idea of how long it took them to come up with this useless respone, I now have 163,000 km on the car. My guess is they're not expecting many Corollas to last long enough to hit 300,000 km... My previous two Toyotas went well past 300k - the second was a 95 Corolla. The thing that bugs me about Toyota's response is that they are effectively saying "talk to us about it again when your car can no longer be legally driven on Ontario roads"."

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)