Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2007 Sport Takes A While To Start

by listoff, February 21, 2013

Hi all. 2007 Sport with 90,000 miles. Lately we've noticed that it takes a while to start the car. Initially it started right up. Now it seems to take 5 seconds or so of cranking. While 5 seconds doesn't sound like a lot, it's enough to make you think "why isn't it starting?" and then it catches and sort of sputters to life. It's the original battery, so I was thinking maybe a weak cell. I remember a recall coming out for it a few years ago to have the ECM replaced - which we had the dealer complete.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

If they are the original plugs, wouldn't be a bad idea to pull them and see what they look like. The iridiums can run as long as 120K miles or moew, but like they say, you're mileage may vary.

Might be some water/moisture in the tank as well - gas dryer additive may help. Dirty injectors, gummed up throttlebody, diry MAF sensors are also possibilities.

I cleaned the MAF the other day without luck. I thought plugs and moisture too. I didn't think about the TB being gummed up. All great ideas! Looks like I get to spend some money this weekend! Thanks!

I never thought to look at the intake gasket. I'll take a peek at all these things this weekend.

Thanks again everyone!

Mike

friendly_jacek

Dom is right. I just replaced the gasket and I wish I did it sooner as dirty, unfiltered air was getting directly inside cylinders. See my recent thread with a link to youtube video.

However, I think weak battery is more likely the culprit here with delayed start.

Batteries last exactly 5 years in my corolla.

My intake manifold gasket was replaced but hard starting was not an issue. Mine also threw a code when it messed up.

Hi everyone. I'm bringing this post back to life. I changed the spark plugs. It needed them and we got a little extra power and smoother idle. I'm happy about that. Haven't done the gasket, but I think that may be a project this weekend since it will feel somewhat like Spring in southern Pennsylvania finally.

We have noticed that the extended cranking seems to be when the car has been sitting over night. I was thinking maybe fuel pump since startups close together would mean fuel still in the lines and an easier start whereas overnight there wouldn't be as much fuel in the lines... Maybe? I'm grasping at straws on that idea. Would a fuel pump issue throw a CEL? I also find it odd that the longest crank is after it's been sitting dormant for a while.

Thanks!

Mike

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)