Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By friendly_jacek, February 4, 2013

friendly_jacek

Mine is 2000 RPM in park (lower in drive), but doesn't go down even in a couple of minutes of idling on a day that is moderately warm (60F). This is much higher than any car I have or had. Should I replace the intake gasket? (2003 Corolla).

Do you see the cold idle surging that some other have seen? Could be a gummed up throttle body, stuck IAC valve, or dirty MAF sensor that could be causing the elevated idle speeds.

A faulty intake gasket is another strong possibility - but before you attempt to replace the intake gasket, see if there is a vacuum leak on the surrounding vacuum sources first, then check around the intake manifold / manifold gasket area.

No reason to change it, if the gasket is OK. Only some people experienced the distorted intake gasket on the 9th gen - most saw either screaming idle speeds, or idle surging.

My 2001 idles at about 12-1400 RPM and slowly goes down as it warms up. Then about 800 RPM. I try to keep it under 1500 rpm for a slow drive of 2 miles to the highway where 2000 rpm is 60MPH. It has just turned 100,000.

friendly_jacek

Do you see the cold idle surging that some other have seen?

No, it's my understanding the surging/oscilations mostly noticible in cars with manual tranny and cold climate. Mine is neither.

I don't have a problem with 2000RPM, if that lasted seconds. I have problem with it lasting minutes, especially when not very cold.

I cleaned throttle body and MAF a year ago or so. No difference. No CEL, no codes. LTFT was +6% last time I checked.

If this is lasting minutes, even after you are underway - then I'd start suspecting a faulty coolant temperature sensor, lazy O2 sensor, vacuum leaks. Just idling, the car will take a significant amount of time to warm up. LTFT being positive might indicate that you have a lean condition (not enough fuel, too much air). Could be an indication of dirty/sticking injectors, incorrect bleed air into the throttlebody, or leak in the induction system (cracked air box, vacuum leak, punctured/damaged hosing to the throttlebody, leaky PCV, etc.)

With all my current cars - at temps at or below freezing - just like ozarkbill - just fire them up, wait a couple seconds for the idle to stabilize, the slowly get underway - waiting until the temperature gauge starts to climb from the bottom of the gauge and just touch the lowest temperature mark. Then it will quickly warm up from there. On my commutes, in temps between 20-30F - usually takes about 3-5 miles (~5-7 minutes) before the temps run into the middle. If I just idled the car in the parking lot - as I'm scraping/clearing the windows in the same temperature range - might take 10+ minutes before the temperature gets to the 1/4 temp mark.

If you still have the original intake manifold black rubber gasket, it most likely is leaking. Replace with Toyota's revised orange silicone gasket # 17171-22060.

friendly_jacek

If you still have the original intake manifold black rubber gasket, it most likely is leaking. Replace with Toyota's revised orange silicone gasket # 17171-22060.

I'm still debating if new gasket is needed. According to this: http://toyota-solutions.blogspot.com/2011/02/got-p0171-blues-in-your-toyota-corolla.html

only 2005-2008 corolla were affected and usually thow a P0171 code. On the other hand, I replaced ignition coils in my RAV4 at only 40,000 miles or so and intake gasket was very compressed and wimpy. Looks like Toyota intake gaskets are not that great.

It also includes 2003, and 2004 like mine... Orange silicone gasket # 17171-22060 (Victor Reinz # MS19590) is a good fix.

Many 2003 and 2004, and up to 2008 Corolla owners have already replaced their leaking intake manifold black nitrile (synthetic rubber) gasket for the revised one with positive results. You should most definitely replace it. If you look by the edge of your gasket where it sits on engine head, you'll see dark grimy leaking residue.

Victor Reinz # MS19590 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1432915,parttype,5424

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2651888&cc=1432915

friendly_jacek

Thanks for the RockAuto link. I will order it and have it done. I will do a recording pre and post to see if idle speed changes.

Edit:

Dom, you were so right. I got the P0171 code today. It just happened to be a very cold morning and the leak was enough to trigger a lean code. I will buy the improved OEM gasket locally as RockAuto wants $14 for shipping.

My 2001 idles at about 12-1400 RPM and slowly goes down as it warms up. Then about 800 RPM. I try to keep it under 1500 rpm for a slow drive of 2 miles to the highway where 2000 rpm is 60MPH. It has just turned 100,000.
I do the same when it's cold. I live in a desert, so I admit in the summer I don't bother being as kind because it warms up so quickly.

friendly_jacek

I did the gasket fix and posted a video about it on youtube:

Great video! Fortunately my 2003 Corolla has not had any similar issues. It is now over 10 years old and has only 89,000 miles. I'm wondering if that engine will ever require any repairs?

Oooops...maybe I shouldn't have said that!

friendly_jacek

Great video! Fortunately my 2003 Corolla has not had any similar issues. It is now over 10 years old and has only 89,000 miles. I'm wondering if that engine will ever require any repairs?

Oooops...maybe I shouldn't have said that!

Mine is even lower miles, 86,288 as you can see from the video. But, they are mostly city miles at 20-25 mph average speed. So this engine saw similar hours as 160,000-240,000 miles of hwy driving. Mine developed mild oil consumption a couple of years ago, even with 4,000-5,000 mile OCI, and iridium spark plugs had visible wear at 75,000 miles.

I also had some other failures that would be expensive to fix if I didn't use used parts. But I still like this little noisy car. My daughter drives it now. Hopefully it will last through the college.

Hi I Know this is an old topic but I Used it to help diagnose my 2004 corolla high rev problem so i am going to rez it .

i tried Cleaning the Throttle body and the idle air valve (the idle air valve wasn't stuck and the Coolant tubes were clear) this did not help my high cold idle.

I then Changed the intake manifold gasket to a Felpro gasket and tightened it to 15 ft lbs . I noticed that the old likely OEM black gasket was hard like plastic and i could see where there was some "blowby" that let me know it was likely leaking and was the culprit. There's lots of videos how to change the gasket I have never done it before and it only took me about 45 minutes. I didn't remove the throttle body or any connections other than the "snorkel" going to it and a couple other bolts that was holding the manifold then the rest of the manifold bolts.

When i was done and started the car the revs were much lower on a cold start with the new gasket it started at about 1800 then crept to about 1500 rpm then back to normal within a few mins at -11C. Before at that temp it would start at 2000-2200 rpms and stay there for a long time and sometimes surge higher I also noticed that the idle speed has increased to about 850-900 rpms which as far as i know is normal operating RPMs before it was about 500 rpm at idle when warm. The gasket def fixed the problem for me thanks for the Info. BTW the gasket is only $15 CAD and minimal labor and difficulty so its worth trying if you haven't already.

Topic List