Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest prasadh

I noticed oil leak in the power steering gearbox (not sure if I am right; pls refer the images below - the part where the focus is on, I hope is the PS gearbox).

Leaking gearbox or pinon boot ?

Wanted to check whether PS gear / pinion leaks are common in 2001 Corollas.

How much will a Dealer charge for this repair ? Are there recon gearbox/rack n pinions options available ?

Are if it is only a seal in the gear, can that done by me (DIY) ? [ Guess it might involve many special tools].

Need to admit that I was feeling the steering hard for the last 3-4 months. Found the leak today.

Could a weak PS gearbox / pinion also impact the driver side front tire ? I see outerwear only in this side.

Please let me know your thoughts.2001 Corolla - 130400 miles

Note - I am not able to upload images in the post. Can some one guide me ?

Use a photo hosting site - like Photobucket or Flickr or similar.

As for powersteering boot issues - not a known issue on the 8th gen Corolla. Could be a number of things causing hard steering and excessive tire wear. I'd look into having the suspension and steering looked at. Excessive play in the tierods or suspension can cause excessive wear / damage the steering rack. Also the steering pump requires periodic fluid exchanges as well - but one of the more commonly overlooked maintenance items.

That binding you felt earlier might have alluded to a simple issue of low powersteering fluid or issue with the vane pump / gear assembly.

Once you are able to post a pic - that will give us an idea of what is potentially happening there. From the sounds of it - likely going to be an expensive repair. Retail price for a brand new OEM steering rack, pump, and all the connecting ends is well over $1600. Might be able to source a reman/rebuilt unit for about 1/4 that cost or less. Most steering system diagnosis and simple repairs are in the hundreds of dollars. Before you thrown in the towel - post a pic, and then look to have the system diagnosed. Could still be something simple to repair that is relatively low cost.

Guest FTR85

[image dead]

Here's a pic of the power steering mounting bolts the manual says to remove. It's not budging though. Is there a trick?

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)