Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By tashirosgt, November 20, 2012

Are the engine blocks on the 4A-F and 4A-FE engines the same?

(Edit: I guess the fact that the fuel pump for the 4A-F is mounted on the engine block makes the answer "no". I wonder if a machine shop could modify a 4A-FE block to mount the pump. I haven't closely inspected my 4A-F fuel pump situation yet.)

(Edit: Upon a quick inspection, it looks like the fuel pump mounts to the head, so there's still hope for the blocks.)

I want to rebuild the 4A-F engine on my '89 Corolla. To minimize the non-drivable days of the car, it would be nice to get a block ready before taking the old engine out. However, my inventory of engines (not in cars) consists of two used 4A-FE engines.

I also have two blocks-with-pistons-installed that I bought on Ebay years ago. They were advertised as new blocks for the 4A-FE and they certainly look new.

The block from the used 4A-FE engines that I cleand up has "4A" stamped on the corner. It has the longer number 8029384 stamped near it. It also a metal plate attached with another number on it. The Ebay purchased block I took out of its box has the '4A" stamped on it, but it doesn't have the other numbers. There is no metal plate attached to it. The Ebay blocks have standard ( "STD" ) pistons that look like the pistons on the used engines.

This PDF guide to engine castings http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=aera%20cylinder%20head%20and%20block%20manual&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDcQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.guiaautomotrizcr.com%2Fimages%2FAeraid%2520head%2520and%2520block%2520manual.pdf&ei=1AmsUKnOGeSNygGsn4DgAw&usg=AFQjCNH0r_cJsTL-sjUVpQEqQn7HWLuasA&cad=rja lists the "Casting numbers" for the two types of Toyota engine blocks as "4AF" and "4AFE", but both my blocks are only marked "4A". (Edit: The block on the 4A-F engine in the car is also stamped "4A".)

Looks like the forum is going to need some anti-spam measures!

Yeah, seems like the was a spike on numerous forums lately.

Topic List