Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2007 Corolla S - Brakes And Rotors

By listoff, October 12, 2012

Hi all,

When I get on the brakes, my steering wheel shakes and the brake pedal pulses. Since the car passed inspection in PA a few months ago, I figured it couldn't be the brakes or they would have found it and told me about it. Well, they just called me and said it needs new front pads and rotors. I'm a little ticket off that they didn't find it when it was in last time...

Anyway, they want $315 for the job. I'm sure I can do this much cheaper on my own. However, I've never replaced pads and rotors before. Does anyone have step-by-step instructions for this? Is this a pretty easy job? I'm pretty handy with a wrench, but I don't have a brake line bleeder or anything like that. But I could probably do that free tool rental thing from Auto Zone if need be. Where do I start?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone could offer!

Mike

Pretty simple to DIY - especially if you feel comfortable with a wrench. You will need a torque wrench and a breaker bar - as those larger bolts that hold on the torque plate are on pretty tight. Spray them with some PB Blaster or similar to help free them up. Same with around the hub bore in areas that see a lot of salt in the wintertime.

Should be easily able to do this job for atleast 1/2 the price difference and within a couple of hours. OEM pads are about $50-$60, good replacement rotors are $50-$60 each (Brembo or Centric).

Example video here - many more out there.

Awesome! Thanks! After posting my initial post, I found the same video you posted. I thought for sure I'd have to bleed the brakes and that's why I always stayed away from doing brake jobs. This seems pretty simple. I can get 2 Brembo rotors and some good pads for $175 from AA. That's much better than the $315 from the shop. Of course, I have to pay $30 for their diagnosis... But still, I'll save the money any way I can!

Thanks again!

Mike

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)