Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1999 Corolla - Atf

By Rolland, September 18, 2012

• 33 posts

According to the manual, my corolla auto transmission requires dexron III. I bought Peak ATF and I am not sure if this is the right aft for my corolla because on the bottle, it was labeled Dexron III/Mercon. Do you think I bought the right atf for my Corolla? And if so, would you recommend this brand?

http://www.peaklubricants.com/atf.html

1999 corolla (US Version)

4 speeds auto

120K miles

That should be fine to use - lot of fluids are now multi-spec. As long as it says Dexron II/III - you are good to go. What do you intend to do with the transaxle - just a drain and refill or a DIY flush? Drain and refill should take about 4 quarts on the 4-speed transaxle. If you want to DIY flush - likely need about 3-4 times that amount.

• 33 posts
That should be fine to use - lot of fluids are now multi-spec. As long as it says Dexron II/III - you are good to go. What do you intend to do with the transaxle - just a drain and refill or a DIY flush? Drain and refill should take about 4 quarts on the 4-speed transaxle. If you want to DIY flush - likely need about 3-4 times that amount.

Thanks for your help. I plan to drain and refill it. I check the manual and it says drain & refill 3.2 quarts for the 4 speeds. I bought 3 quarts and you think is okay to skip 0.2 quart?

You want to keep it as close as possible - being off by almost 1/4 quart - "might" be OK, but you also risk running too low and possible transaxle slip. The other side - you definitely don't want to over fill it either. Too much ATF causes it to foam the oil, leading to overheating and transaxle slip. When I did my 2002 Corolla - I got well over 3.5 quarts when I drained it.

I'd buy another quart just to make up whatever you need. You'll have to check on the fluid level over the course of a few days/weeks after doing the drain and refill to make sure the level is spot on and that there are no leaks.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)