Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2000 Corolla, Engine Vibrates Noticably When Cold

Guest skang01

Hi all,

My 2000 Toyota Corolla (w/ 60k miles) vibrates noticably after startup. After the engine warms up, however, the vibrations disappear. The vibrations are strong enough that I don't think this is a result of standard wear and tear.

I've noticed that my gas mileage is down pretty significantly as well, it's at about 25-28 mi/gal. When the car was new, I measured 37-39 mi/gal under the same driving conditions.

Could this be a problem with sludge? It would seem to explain why the vibrations go away when the engine is warm, since the oil re-liquifies? I've been changing oil around the 5k-7k mark, which I'm now realizing is on the high side based on other posts on this forum. I just went with what it said in the manual.

Could you guys suggest some tests or inspections I can perform to narrow down this problem?

Thanks!

Guest skang01

Oh, I'd like to add that this problem has been slowly getting worse over time. There wasn't any one specific moment or incident that I can remember. It's just that the vibrations have been getting stronger with time and now it's pretty significant.

Hi,

Please see this thread:

https://www.corolland.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16685

I have a 2000 and it does the same thing - loud idle at startup on cold mornings. The 1ZZ-FE engine in general is noisy at idle and I think in winter it is worse. I am not worried about it since it doesn't happen all the time. Since you have a 2000, please check the oil level regularly.

sv11

Guest Corollasroyce

There has been quite a few posts about this....its preatty common...check the previous threads

Guest CorollaATL

Regarding your 2000 Corolla, check the oil. My 1999 Corolla had the same loud vibration and reduced gas milage problem. I just have my engine replaced in December 2004 with only 47000 miles on it. I drove down to Fort Lauderdale from Atlanta in February of 2004 and my oil light came on when I got down there. Freaked me out. Took it to the shop the next day while down there and they added four quarts of oil and changed the filter and could not explain it. No oil leaks and I'd just had it seviced prior to the trip. It happened again in November 2004 and I took it to a differnet dealership for service here in Atlanta. They said my year model had an "oil consumption problem" and they replaced the entire engine. The pistons and rings were worn out and the valves were burnt. The car had been perfectly maintained but was a year and a half out of warranty. Toyota stepped up and replaced the engine with an update version although I couldn't tell you what the new version is. It runs great. The noise is gone and gas milage is back up. I suspect the new 98 through 2001 Corolla engines had a major desing flaw. Hope that helps.

CorollaATL

Guest sins

it's recommended that you change your timing belt after 60k miles.

Don't have to worry about the timing belt - as they started using timing chains in the 1ZZFE engines. You could try cleaning the MAF sensor in the intake. A dirty MAF and IAT sensors tend to couse hesitation or roughness at startup. Do a search - as lots of people have had weird "virbration" and noise issues.

CorollaATL,

Some of the 98-02 engines, including mine, had problem with the piston rings that caused them to lose oil. It is good to check the oil regularly on these engines. Did Toyota reimburse you for the repair or where you out of luck since the warranty expired?

sv11

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)