Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Licence Plate Holder For Front Bumper Of 2004 Corolla

By elopomorph, July 27, 2012

I recieved a licence plate of my favorite college. I want to attached it to the front of my 2004 corolla but there are no holes on the front bumper. I looked closely and I can see two indents under the paint where the licence place screws could go but they have been painted over. Any advice on how to attached my licence plate? Do I have to get the two holes threaded so I have a place to attached the license plate screws?

Do you have the license plate bracket for the front of the car? Sounds like there isn't one there - hence the little bumps on the bumper cover. You could just use some self-tapping screws and drive the new plate onto the front bumper - don't drill - too easy to drill too deep (into the center support beam). Unless you want to drill some little pilot holes to get it started - that case probably OK.

But I'd try and find a bracket - makes for a much cleaner install - pushes the plate and frame away from the bumper so as to not scratch up the paint in that area. The dimples on the bumper help you align the bracket - but they don't actually match up to the holes. I know on the one for my RAV4 - there where two sets of holes, one set for the bracket to the bumper and the other for the license plate to bracket. I drilled two relief holes behind the ones for the plate to bracket - so that the screws for the plate would not pry the bracket off the car. The bracket to bumper was handled with some self tapping screws.

Here is the example PDF that I followed to install my bracket. The one for the Corolla will be very similar. http://rav4world.com/2009_photos/2009_license_plate_bracket.pdf

Why not just ask your local Toyota dealer? I would think they'd at least know how to attach a license plate.

Fishexpo, thanks again for the sage advice.

Depending on the state you live in, i.e. front plates are required - dealerships may be on the hook to provide a factory plate bracket to you at no charge - might be worth looking into. They usually come from the factory with the bracket shoved into the glovebox. Some dealerships pull them and either toss them in a box somewhere or some unscrupulous ones might even charge you extra for it. For the Rav4 - dealership gave me one. On my Corolla - which still had all the factory plastic wrap on it, bracket was in the glovebox.

Fish,

My state requires only 1 plate, but my dealer made sure to tell me that he was including a front bracket should I move to a state requiring 2 plates. I keep it in the trunk.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)