Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Fuel Injection Service?

by hackwriter, December 24, 2004

I have a 2003 Corolla CE. Great little car. I've been having it dealer serviced.

The car now has 15,000 miles on it, so I'm taking it in for the 15,000 mile service. The dealer already recommends oil changes every 3000 miles for the driving conditions here in the mid-Atlantic (hot summers, lots of road salt in winter). That seems like awfully frequent for a modern car, but OK, at $26.95/pop I can deal with that.

But now they're telling me that they recommend a "fuel injector service" EVERY 15,000 MILES!!!!!! Now, I've dealt with shyster service departments before for my Civics, and I've never had anyone tell me I need some $175 fuel injector service on top of a $229 15,000 mile major service -- especially on a car with only 15,000 miles on it. And they recommend some kind of an air filter for the cabin ventilation system. default_blink

Is this something that Toyotas in general or Corollas specifically need, or is this just the dealer trying to pay for his house on St. Barts?

I've had 2 Civics dealer-only serviced, and both conked out at 107,000 miles, which is low for a Honda. Everyone I know who just has their service done at the corner gas station gets like 150,000 miles out of their Hondas and Toyotas. Are the dealers just screwing around with these cars? I'm going to have mine dealer serviced as long as the warranty is in effect, but unless someone can tell me that there is a compelling reason to have all this extra stuff done. $400 in maintenance service on a 2-year-old car seems excessive, when I bought it for its reliability. default_unsure

Max

I have never had any Toyota dealer or independent mechanic recommend a fuel injection service. Some people believe it's a good idea for some cars, but I haven't found it necessary for my Corolla, or my '87 Celica.

You will want to get a new cabin filter, though, at least once a year. If you don't, your A/C output will suffer. It's expensive if the dealer does it, but if you get the part and do it yourself (it goes behind the glove box), it's not so bad. Some here have had permanent ones made that they can clean and put right back in.

Oil changes- Toyota recommends 7.5 k for regular driving, 5k for severe driving, but I do 3k or 3 months, dino oil, just cuz I always have. You should have a "passport to Performance" maintenence guide that came with your owner's manual. It'll give you the straight story as opposed to what the stealership says. Welcome to the board!

Unless there is poor performance, the benefit of routine fuel system cleaning is to the dealer's wallet.

Sounds like Jiffy Lube mentality has spread.

Just follow the service recommendations in your factory service schedule.

Following the recommended services per the dealer is a good rule of thumb. Between services, you can try adding 4 oz. of Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel tank along with 93 octane gas. MMO will help to clean them and lubricate the fuel pump as well as the injectors.

Per the dealer? Is that what you meant to say, or per the manufacturer? It sounds like you meant the latter. Please clarify...thanks.

LISTEN This car was designed to be a low maintance car. I have a 2000 corolla , never have I taken to the dealer. Change the oil every 10K km, coolant every 50K km, Air filter 60K km.and thats all. no spark plug untill 200K km, because of irredium. no fuel injection service because gas has all the cleaning agents in it. NO fuel filter, no lube the tie end rod because of permaseal. Stay away from the dealer, As long as you have the oil change record.

Just follow the maintenance schedule in the factory service booklet. Dealer will always push a "specialized" schedule for their customers. Pure profit mechanism. Also keep in mind that the factory service schedule is the minimum you need to do to keep the car running in good condition - if you halve the intervals, you won't hurt anything - you'll just spend more money than you needed.

10K oil change intervals - hopefully on full synthetics. Iridiums do hold up very well - but I wouldn't see them lasting past 100K. There is a fuel filter - but generally doesn't need replacement unless something has fouled up the tank.

Generally - fuel induction service is a wash - doesn't help anything. All gas sold has additives in there for removing deposits. If you feel that is not enough - you can add more through these additives in the parts store. Even then, you have to becareful that these additives don't do more harm than good.

This old adage would apply here:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

The interval posted as 200K was in kilometers, not miles, so that explains why it appears so long.

Good call BobLevine. Still 120K miles is a lot to ask for plugs, even Iridiums - had mine replaced at 90K.

Per the dealer?  Is that what you meant to say, or per the manufacturer?  It sounds like you meant the latter.  Please clarify...thanks.

I meant to say the manufacturer, you are correct. Wifey's '98 has never had the FI service done to the best of my knowledge, but I insist that she use 93 octane and I'll fill it with super when I'm driving it, just to keep things tip-top.

I was concerned about the fuel filter needing replacement, since it's never been done - but after reading this thread I won't worry about it. Her car has never had anything except "branded" fuel so I shouldn't be concerned about the presence of too many contaminants washing around inside the tank.

Recently I've begun the practice of adding Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel every now and then, to keep the fuel pump lubricated. The peppermint exhaust smell is a unique feature.

Good call BobLevine.  Still 120K miles is a lot to ask for plugs, even Iridiums - had mine replaced at 90K.

Please visit the www.densoiridium.com website. This is the companey that makes the sparkplugs for toyota. Also it explain why such a long life for the iridium spark plug. I beleive 200K km is a safe range.

My '03 Corolla LE now has 26,000 miles on it and I've never had a Fuel Injector Service -- or any other kind of service, for that matter -- performed by the dealer. I do my own oil and filter changes, and at 30K, will do my own transmission fluid and coolant service. I haven't replaced the cabin air filter yet, either. I just purchased a CD service manual on eBay and will use that info to do these jobs myself.

Guest cobrajet25

...but I insist that she use 93 octane and I'll fill it with super when I'm driving it, just to keep things tip-top.

Using 93 octane gas in a car that is meant to run on 87 octane is a waste of money. Premium gas is meant for premium cars that are designed to run on it. There was a time when alot of the detergents that keep fuel systems clean were only found in the premium grades of gasoline, but nowadays these additives are found in all grades. Some high-performance cars designed to run on 92 octane can be seriously harmed by running 87 octane, but there is no real benefit to using premium in most cars. Corollas are designed to run on today's 87 octane douche water, and if you stick to good brands of gas that's really all you need to keep yours happy. Remember, the Corolla is supposed to be an ECONOMICAL car. Using premuim won't hurt your car, but it is a waste of money...and the oil companies get enough of mine as it is! default_wink " Fuel-injector service" is a joke...especially on a nearly new car. Regards, Aaron

Topic List