Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2010 S Steering Wheel Audio Controls

by asmileifake, June 8, 2012

Anyone have any advice/suggestions on how to clean the steering wheel audio controls on a 2010 S? My idiot self spilled soda all over my steering wheel and although the audio controls still work they are now harder to push and tend to stick. Thanks!

Short of disassembling that system - could try a combination of rubbing alcohol and compressed air to get the Coke residue out of the buttons. Make sure to have a stack of paper towels or shop rags behind there to catch the mess and to prevent the compressed air from blowing residue elsewhere in the cabin.

Soda is mildly corrosive to electronic circuits - the better you can clean that residue off, the better off it will be in the long run.

How much trouble is it to disassemble the system?

I am still under warranty through Toyota Care so I thought about taking it to the dealership and having them clean it but I am worried that they would break something.

For the rubbing alcohol would you suggest pouring it directly on the controls or pouring some on a rag first and just whiping them down with the rag really well?

As you said I definitely want to get this taken care of and cleaned up since soda is corrosive.

I didn't spill a lot but do you think the soda could have damaged something else related to the audio components by such access?

Thanks again!

Short of disassembling that system - could try a combination of rubbing alcohol and compressed air to get the Coke residue out of the buttons. Make sure to have a stack of paper towels or shop rags behind there to catch the mess and to prevent the compressed air from blowing residue elsewhere in the cabin.

Soda is mildly corrosive to electronic circuits - the better you can clean that residue off, the better off it will be in the long run.

I am still under warranty through Toyota Care so I thought about taking it to the dealership and having them clean it but I am worried that they would break something.

If something broke while they were cleaning it I would expect they would fix it, right?

Have you spoken with a tech at your dealer? How about someone at Toyota USA?

Odds are your dealer won't want to fool with the job, and will be more than happy to tell you what to do to clean out the sugary stuff.

Have you spoken with a tech at your dealer? How about someone at Toyota USA?

Odds are your dealer won't want to fool with the job, and will be more than happy to tell you what to do to clean out the sugary stuff.

I have not spoken to anyone but that is kind of what I assumed so I will probably just try the compressed air and rubbing alcohol for now.

I mentioned rubbing alcohol - because they generally are around 70% alcohol and remainder water. Enough water there to help dissolve the residue but still have some alcohol to evaporate quickly.

Definitely want to do this with the battery unplugged - don't want to risk blowing the airbag by accident (remote possibility, but you don't want to chance something like that).

Unfortunately, to get at the residue - you'll likely have to hose that whole area off and saturate the switch area. Dis-assembling that will be a major undertaking - most shops will suggest just replacing it ($$$). As mentioned, dealership might not even touch this - if they break it, they pay for it. Detail shop might be able to help you out in that case - worth a shot calling them, if dabbing the area with alcohol doesn't free up the buttons.

You wouldn't believe how much sodium and phosphoric acid is in a can (or bottle) of soda!

Whatever way you find to clean the controls, do yourself a favor: Get yourself a proper sippy cup! One with a straw, maybe?

Check 'em out at Amazon: http://amzn.to/M0jkCk

Topic List