Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

From A 2004 To A 2012

by Jester243, June 7, 2012

Recently lost our 2004 Corolla due to being rear-ended while stopped by a guy doing 45 mph.

Now that the insurance is settled we went and purchased a 2012 Corolla S and am having fun getting to know this one.

Just wanted to say a quick hi and then I will be back to lurking around.

and for the first change we tinted the windows...

sorry for the second post but it would not allow me to post the third pic in the original post default_smile

• 1,424 posts

Nice car, looks a lot like mine, but mine is a 2010. I like the wheels on yours better.

Any way you could post any interior pictures of the dash? I'm curious as to how that flat bottom steering wheel really looks and if the clock is any easier to read on top of the dash instead of behind the shifter.

Looks like your old Corolla took a hit, hope you didn't suffer any injury other than the loss of the car.

Anyway, congrats on your new purchase.

Nice car, looks a lot like mine, but mine is a 2010. I like the wheels on yours better.

Any way you could post any interior pictures of the dash? I'm curious as to how that flat bottom steering wheel really looks and if the clock is any easier to read on top of the dash instead of behind the shifter.

Looks like your old Corolla took a hit, hope you didn't suffer any injury other than the loss of the car.

Anyway, congrats on your new purchase.

thanks, the original Corolla took the impact so well that my wife and I walked away with a sore neck and back but no major injuries. Also the rear glass did not break and both rear doors still opened and closed, that little car really saved our butts. I'll see if i can get a pic for you (wife has her car today). So far I like the clock location, it has a hood over it so it is pretty easy to read. The wheel takes a little getting used to as it rolls through your hands coming out of a turn but it is not too dramatic of a flat area.

Any way you could post any interior pictures of the dash? I'm curious as to how that flat bottom steering wheel really looks and if the clock is any easier to read on top of the dash instead of behind the shifter

Here is a pic of the wheel and dash, although you cannot see the clock very well it is easy to read while driving

• 1,424 posts

So you got Etune with Navigation also, I see.

Played with that yet?

Just curious as to your impressions of it.

I'm driving a 2012 Focus with SYNC and was just wondering how Etune compared.

So you got Etune with Navigation also, I see.

Played with that yet?

Just curious as to your impressions of it.

I'm driving a 2012 Focus with SYNC and was just wondering how Etune compared.

So far so good, i like being able to issue voice commands for things like phone calls and nav, and it is nice to see the album art for the ipod. I like that the nav calls out street names like my old Garmin, I need to get out this weekend and really try the system out.

Ouch! Glad to see that you and your wife made out safely. Congrats on your new purchase, hoping that this car treats you as well as the last Corolla did.

My own '03 Corolla LE was rear-ended on I-95 in Wilmington, DE two years ago -- June '10. It did just over $5,000 damage but the insurance company repaired the car. Repairs involved new bumpers on both ends, a new right rear quarter panel, new rear panel, new trunk lid, paint and stuff like badges. All replacement parts were OEM since the aftermarket ones were higher priced! There were no issues with the unibody frame being bent or anything -- the car was driven home almost 50 miles after the accident and for a week afterward waiting to take it in for repair. No glass broken at all.

Your accident is much worse but I am still amazed that the car held up so well, same as mine. Hope you enjoy the 2012 and it will be interesting to see how you like it as you get used to it. That steering wheel is interesting. I'm just going to keep driving my '03 as long as I can and even though it's going to be 10 years old in Sept. of this year, it still doesn't have 85,000 miles on it yet!

I still have my '04 but am thinking of buying a '12. However, mpg is important to me since my commute is about a hundred miles one way (cruise control so not bad). I notice that the new Corollas don't state they get the same fuel economy. I run Amsoil engine and transaxle and energy Michelins (at about 5 psi above recommended), and at 200 k miles it still gets over 40 mpg at 75 mph.

How does your new Corolla compare to your old one in that?

Also keep in mind the EPA fuel economy rating that happened around 2008 to make the EPA ratings more "realistic". The engine and powertrain design on the newer 1.8L Corollas are superior to the previous generations of Corolla - dual VVTi and improved DBW throttle helps push engine efficiency much higher than before. Actual fuel economy numbers "should" be better even with a larger body and more weight.

Example - my Corolla that was rated 30 city and 38 highway (32 MPG combined) under the old rules would come out to be 25 city / 34 highway (28 MPG combined) under the EPA new rules. I routinely get between 35-37 MPG in some mixed driving conditions. Now if my significant other has been driving - that would easily drop 7-10 MPG from numbers I get from my driving style. They just made this change make sure that people were hitting atleast the EPA figures. Always feels better to due better than the expected MPG than to do worse. Driving conditions and driving style will always have the biggest impact on fuel economy - even embracing hypermiler techniques will not help if you drive with all gas/all brake.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)