Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1999 Corolla Ve Power Locks And Trunk Release Add.

by Bad_dude, June 5, 2012

Bad_dude

Hey guys,

I have a 99 Corolla VE, it came with a deactivated alarm system b/c I can see the alarm horn and some wiring under the dash. It's a very poor install for sure. Any how, I would like to replace the system with another inexpensive system. The new system will have a auto trunk release and power locks control which this car has neither. Any one here has experience with installing power door locks and trunk popper on this vehicle?

Since the LE models have them, I would imaging the VE would have a mounting place or mechanism ready so I perhaps get some parts from the junk yard to do it?

Thanks.

That would be one option - stripping the electronic solenoids for the doors and trunk popper from an LE trim. Wiring will most likely be there - prewired from the factory, just have to search around for it - might be taped down or shoved behind something during manufacturing. Aftermarket solenoids are also an option - if you can't find clean salvage parts or don't want to deal with pulling parts.

The tricky part is removing the old alarm system. Depending on how it was installed and disabled, prior to getting into your hands, could make this project a potential nightmare. Definitely pull the negative battery cable before you start tugging on any cables. Try and visually track down all the cable runs before you start pulling or cutting any wiring. Sometimes, I've seen them run multiple "decoy" wires in and around the alarm system/horn - makes for diagnosing/wire tracking fun.

Bad_dude

So I got the door locks down. I don't think the power windows is going to work without a lot of work.

What about the trunk? Could I just get an actuator to get the trunk pop? Or do I need a solenoid? How would I wire it to the latch to release it since it's a VE model and it does not come with any trunk release.

Thanks.

You'll have to wire in trunk release button separately, if you want a release in the car. Setting up a solenoid and button release setup would probably be easiest - the cable actuated latch would be tricker to run, more time consuming. The car might already have a spring loaded popper in the trunk, but only strong enough to push the trunk far enough to clear the latch - just need to add a solenoid to complete that setup.

Bad_dude

You'll have to wire in trunk release button separately, if you want a release in the car. Setting up a solenoid and button release setup would probably be easiest - the cable actuated latch would be tricker to run, more time consuming. The car might already have a spring loaded popper in the trunk, but only strong enough to push the trunk far enough to clear the latch - just need to add a solenoid to complete that setup.

Would you have a guide or pics to help? I have done it for some Accords but they have the trunk release cable already in. I just attach the actuator to the cable and it worked. I'll have a look at the car when I get a chance to see if I could do it.

Thanks.

I'll look as see what I have. I don't remember having any specific Toyota guide on this, but there are a bunch of aftermarket ones floating around on the net.

Bad_dude

I'll look as see what I have. I don't remember having any specific Toyota guide on this, but there are a bunch of aftermarket ones floating around on the net.

I can't find any specifics on this Corolla. I am more concern about the wiring as I wonder if they are prewired or I have to wire them myself.

Thanks.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)