Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Starter For Corolla 2000

by crypticlineage, February 12, 2012

It appears the thunderstorm and driving around in water has done more damage than I realized. A couple of days ago the car was having problems starting. I hear a distinct single click but the engine doesn't crank. On third or fourth try the engine will eventually fire up.

In the past when the battery was a problem I always heard continuous clicking sounds from starter unlike now. Nevertheless I had battery and alternator checked which turned out to be just fine. So I am pretty sure it is the starter.

The correct part number seems to be a source of confusion. The PN from toyodiy can't be found on 1sttoyotaparts. Search with keyword starter yields several different starters with different prices; some at $177, others at $234, and there are 1.2 and 1.4 kw options. I don't know which one I need.

Also is it okay to buy a used one from the junkyard? They seem to be going for around 50 bucks.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT:

It appears that the most common reason a starter fails is because of worn out contacts. But they can be repaired. Also, apparently, Nippon Denso makes a repair kit for the starters, which this website is selling: www.nationsautoelectric.com. They have an excellent video on how to repair your contacts and replace the plunger:

I think I am going to try repairing instead of buying a remanufactured part for $174.

I wonder why Toyota doesn't sell this repair kit, if denso is offering it. If anyone knows about the part # for this kit, please post it here. Thanks.

EDIT # 2:

Just found the part numbers for Toyota's starter repair kit: 28226-64370 and 28226-74070. However, this kit only contains solenoid contacts, not the plunger. So, if the disc at the end of plunger is worn out, this kit may not be sufficient for complete repair of the starter.

EDIT # 3:

The part numbers are different depending upon when the car was manufactured. For my 2000 (manufactured 1999/09), the part numbers are:

Starter Kit Battery Terminal: 28226?22050

Starter Kit Motor Terminal: 28226?74070

This includes the copper contacts and their fittings on both sides. One contact is crescent moon shaped and the other one is smaller squarish. The local stealership wants $14.50 for the first one and $20.36 for the second one plus taxes. That comes to a total of $38. From 1sttoyotaparts, including the mandatory $9.95 shipping, it will still be a total of $26. I hate dealerships.

Bad_dude

OEM parts always much better than any rebuild. If you have access to a junk yard, check the mileage if you could given the read out is electronic. I would get a used one from the junk yard. When my alternator regulator went bad on my car which just give a false report to my warning light. I bought a few used Honda OEM Alternators from Ebay and take the regulator and replaced it without removing the alternator from the car. I also replace the brush kit. I rebuild a starter years ago for my 87 Corolla, that thing ran for another 4 years before I sold the car. It starts right up every time. I always keep my battery healthy to avoid the wearing out the starter. How many miles is on your car?

Thanks.

Starter rebuild is a cheap fix, around $18 in solenoid contacts, plus shipping. There are plenty of aftermarket knockouts on amazon and eBay, but I am tempted to stay with the stock Toyota. The car has 170K on it and afaik, the starter has never been replaced. Strangely enough, my starter problem has gone away during the past two days. No more clicking, starts right up. But I am still going to go ahead and rebuild it.

Bad_dude

Starter rebuild is a cheap fix, around $18 in solenoid contacts, plus shipping. There are plenty of aftermarket knockouts on amazon and eBay, but I am tempted to stay with the stock Toyota. The car has 170K on it and afaik, the starter has never been replaced. Strangely enough, my starter problem has gone away during the past two days. No more clicking, starts right up. But I am still going to go ahead and rebuild it.

The problem could be cable contacts. Check and clean. Where do you get your rebuild kit for that $18 plus shipping? I need to rebuild for both of my cars before it fails. For your information, my 87 Corolla starter failed over 200k miles.

Thanks.

Toyota sells separate kits for motor-terminal and battery-terminal contacts and their accessories. Both part numbers start with 28226- The next five digits will vary depending upon your year. Check it out on 1sttoyotaparts. I just ordered mine tonight. You will need one of each kit.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)