Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2000 Corolla Engine Rattle At Idle

by crypticlineage, February 2, 2012

This is a continuation of discussion from another thread.

Background: My 2000 corolla which has a donor engine from 2002, has about 100K miles on it now. It has started making a rattling noise at idle (in park, neutral, reverse and drive), which disappears when driving.

---------------------

I did a quick visual inspection yesterday. There is no oil leak directly on the tensioner face plate itself, but there is wet gunk on the part behind it. Also I noticed debris and a bit of oil residue on the serpentine belt and around the pulleys it drives. I couldn't pinpoint the location of the leak though. If it is any indication, the splash guard had plenty of wet gunk on it, and so did the crossmember assembly. Of course all of this is consistent with the argument that the belt is throwing around a lot of oil that falls on it from *somewhere*.

In any case, after reading up a lot on this rattle problem, it does seem as if it may be related to the chain tensioner, as you pointed out. So I am going to go ahead and replace that unit. I found dshandle1's very nice diy on this matter, which also includes the valve cover gasket replacement. I wonder if at this point there is any reason for me to open the valve cover.

I will check the plugs this weekend and report their findings.

Couldn't hurt to open the valve cover - the o-ring they use tends to leak when the mileage gets up there. You will also have a chance to note any significant engine deposit build/sludge and address that. Also gives you a chance to verify valve clearances. Though that is all up to you if you want to pull the valvecover.

I'd also take a peek at the OCV filter assembly - if there is significant amount of deposits in the engine, this filter could also be plugged up. Another source for some excessive engine noises, especially around the valvetrain.

Yeah I guess it's a good idea to open the valve cover also. I take it that I will need to replace the valve cover gasket also then. How do you clean all the gunk in that area? What solvents? Soak clean rag with solvent and then wipe everything down?

How do you verify valve clearance? The only repair manual I have is Haynes, I will check it out tonight.

I noticed that the OCV filter is in a different place and seems easy enough a job to clean or replace. Again, for cleaning, what solvents should be used?

The following diy shows two different OCV filters. I only found one on toyodiy (15678?21010), but not the other one.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php/topic/31918-diy-servicingchanging-oil-control-valve-ocv-filtersstrainers/

thanks fish

V

Correct - need a new o-ring gasket for the valvecover. There are cases where the original gasket is still in good shape and you could reused it - though for $20 or so, well worth getting a fresh gasket.

You can use any petroleum solvent of choice and rag on the valvecover itself, but don't try and wipe down anything on the engine itself - that is just asking for loosening up something and potentially causing you problems down the road. If the deposits are heavy enough where you want to try and clean up the engine - then you'll need to run some engine cleaning treatment first.

NOTE: I prefer change the oil immediately after opening the valvecover - just in case some debris dropped onto the valvetrain. As such, I tend to time this when I get close to an oil change interval.

Valvecover has a baffle that can get pretty nasty, even on a well maintained engine. I personally use carb cleaners, brake cleaners, whatever I have at hand. Most evaporate pretty quickly, so I don't need to wipe anything down. For stubborn spots - I hit it with a nylon parts cleaning brush, spray and soak, repeat. If you have a solvent tank, just dump in the valvecover and let it do its thing.

The OCV filter is right behind a bolt, directly underneath the OCV solenoid (has a electrical connection running to it) - both by the alternator. Once you remove the bolt infront of the filter - some oil will dribble out. The filter assembly itself is a metal screen in a plastic carrier. As most solvents will eat plastic - not a whole lot you can do other than minimizing solvent contact time. If you do it quickly enough, shouldn't be an issue. I've cleaned that filter with throttlebody cleaner and even brake cleaner - just spray to remove deposits, then use compressed air to blow the solvent off. If you don't have access to compressed air - air drying should be fine, just soak up as much solvent with a papertowel first to speed the drying. There is a metal washer on that bolt - check the condition of it, should be good for one reuse - if in doubt, buy a spare washer before you start.

Haynes manual has a decent description of how to check the valves and what the tolerances are. If I remember correctly, it looks identical to the factory service manual (direction and photos).

Just in case, here are the tolerances from the factory service manual (note measurements when engine is cold):

Intake 0.15 - 0.25 mm (0.006 - 0.010 in.)

Exhaust 0.25 - 0.35 mm (0.010 - 0.014 in.)

As for the OCV filter, you should have only found one part number. The DIY guide refers to the 2ZZ-GE engine, which as two OCV solenoids and filters (one for VVTi and one for "lift" portion of VVTLi). The 1ZZ-FE engine just has the VVTi OCV.

Great info. I went ahead and ordered valvecover gasket and the chain tensioner. By the way, do I need to remove plugs when taking the valve cover off? Or can they stay in there?

Yes, the plugs have to come out. Wiring harness and a couple of minor brackets also need to be moved out of the way to allow enough clearance for the valvecover to pop off. Hardest part for me was getting the plastic engine garnish off without breaking the plastic "bolts". Have to use a steady pulling/twisting motion to pull those out. I ended up breaking both of them, replaced with regular metric bolts, but afterwards - just left the plastic garnish off.

Okay, cool. I don't have the plastic problem, because mine was broken when I bought the car. It has no bolts attaching it to the valve cover. I should probably just take it off.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)