Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2001 Prizm Engine

Guest Dodoman

I'm trying to rebuild my 2001 Prizm because of the sticky oil ring. On the timing chain cover there is a marking N1ZZ-K85N. Is it the engine type? If so, what is the difference between N1ZZ-K85N and 1ZZ-FE engines?

That is just their part number - you'll see the same marking on the Corolla and the Matrix/Vibe 1ZZ-FE engines. There are some posts out there that say it is an unknown engine or a special J-spec variant - none of it is true. My 2002 has the same number - just a regular Corolla with the 1ZZ-FE, made in the Canadian manufacturing plant.

No worries, the Chevy Prism's powertrain is mechanically identical to the Toyota Corolla. So you have a 1ZZ-FE engine with VVT-i, same as a Corolla. Just curious, what is your current oil consumption rate? How long did you have the car? Was it always consuming oil? Transaxle - 3-speed, 4-speed, 5-speed manual?

• Like 1
  • 1,424 posts
I'm trying to rebuild my 2001 Prizm because of the sticky oil ring. On the timing chain cover there is a marking N1ZZ-K85N. Is it the engine type? If so, what is the difference between N1ZZ-K85N and 1ZZ-FE engines?

How bad is it burning oil?

Guest Dodoman

That is just their part number - you'll see the same marking on the Corolla and the Matrix/Vibe 1ZZ-FE engines. There are some posts out there that say it is an unknown engine or a special J-spec variant - none of it is true. My 2002 has the same number - just a regular Corolla with the 1ZZ-FE, made in the Canadian manufacturing plant.

No worries, the Chevy Prism's powertrain is mechanically identical to the Toyota Corolla. So you have a 1ZZ-FE engine with VVT-i, same as a Corolla. Just curious, what is your current oil consumption rate? How long did you have the car? Was it always consuming oil? Transaxle - 3-speed, 4-speed, 5-speed manual?

I bought it last November for my son and It is a 3 speed automatic. By any chance, do you know any blog or website showing how to rebuild or re-ring corolla engine?

Thanks for your information.

OK, I think I saw your post on Toyotanation - 70K miles, 3-speed auto, a quart every 700-800 miles?

Yeah, the best DIY guide I've seen posted online was from Bennie on Toyotanation - lots of clear pics and good info. You won't find a step-by-step guide, unfortunately. Will need to get a factory service manual to get all the necessary torque figures and disassembly/assembly steps. Something like a Haynes or Chiltons manual can only take you so far. FSM can be expensive, but there a couple of cheap online copies you can purchase on EBay or similar, if you don't care where they came from or need the updates.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)