Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Horrible Gas Mileage

by oneton95, December 11, 2011

I have a 2002 Toyota Corolla, it has been getting horrible gas mileage of late, it does need an oil change but that shouldn't be the main culprit why its getting such bad mileage. Just to give you an idea, I checked the odometer and I put 88 miles on it in town driving. But it went thru half a tank of gas! I notice also periodically I have to add oil to it like it is burning a bit of oil. Any ideas what could be the culprit to this? Thanks!

• 149 posts

How many miles on the car? When was the last tune-up? When was the last oil change ? Where do you live ?

How many miles on the car? When was the last tune-up? When was the last oil change ? Where do you live ?

124000+ miles, not sure about the last tune up I've only owned it for a year. Oil change was a few months ago...probably due for a tuneup....what do you think has to be repaired in it?

Have you changed gas stations?

Are you putting in the same grade of fuel?

Is your gas gauge working correctly?

I would perform a check on your gas gauge, as well as any other check on timing, plugs, wires, etc.

Lots of things can cause poor fuel economy - have to do some diagnostic work, get a baseline of the car before you start throwing money at it. Can't really go by the gauge - as they're very linear in reading and have a relatively sluggish response. Have to fillup the tank (don't top off, just pump until it auto-shuts off), clear the trip odometer, drive normally - when it time to fillup, again - just fill the tank, don't top off. Divide the distance traveled by the gallons used. Do this over a couple of tanks, as you could have excessive idling one tank, have bad gas, different stations running different blends of gas, etc. which drop the mileage.

Most should be seeing a drop in fuel economy, as lots of stations have started rolling out the winterized gasoline. Refineries started in September, so most stations should be switched over, though some might have some old stock left if they don't see too much turn over.

The car consuming oil is more of a pressing matter. Need to find out exactly how much it is consuming - as that will influence fuel economy in the long run. As for possible causes, at that mileage and age - could be just about anything. From simple things like tire pressures and alignment or bad tank of gas - to ignition system, fuel system, induction system, cooling/general electrical, emissions, etc.

• 149 posts

124000+ miles, not sure about the last tune up I've only owned it for a year. Oil change was a few months ago...probably due for a tuneup....what do you think has to be repaired in it?

You didn't answer the most important question... where do you live ??

Winter blend fuel is in use in much of the country now with winter coming on and that can adversely affect mileage

oneton95 may not want to give an exact location of residence. I live in the Mid Ohio Valley (Parkersburg, WV - Marietta, OH area), and winter gas definitely has an effect on my mileage, but not by very much. Other factors which may affect mileage is length of time choke is active during warmups, junk gas, fuel containment tank contamination at the station where you get your gas, and problems with your fuel system.

I'd do the fill up/count mileage thing a couple of times to get a baseline average, each time changing locations/brands where you get your gas. If your mileage remains total garbage, it's time to take it to a good garage for a going over if you don't know how to do that yourself.

oneton95, I'd go ahead and indicate the general area of the country where you live, so that others trying to help you can more accurately give you the best advice they can:)

oneton95 may not want to give an exact location of residence. I live in the Mid Ohio Valley (Parkersburg, WV - Marietta, OH area), and winter gas definitely has an effect on my mileage, but not by very much. Other factors which may affect mileage is length of time choke is active during warmups, junk gas, fuel containment tank contamination at the station where you get your gas, and problems with your fuel system.

I'd do the fill up/count mileage thing a couple of times to get a baseline average, each time changing locations/brands where you get your gas. If your mileage remains total garbage, it's time to take it to a good garage for a going over if you don't know how to do that yourself.

oneton95, I'd go ahead and indicate the general area of the country where you live, so that others trying to help you can more accurately give you the best advice they can:)

Thanks for all the input peeps, I live in Kentucky by far I wouldn't consider it the "great white north " , it does seem to burn some oil. When I check the oil, it seems that the level drops about 1/16 " or so not much, it's still in the scale of operation mode. I don't know what else to do, I have been resetting my odometer every time I fill the tank. Dunno, if anything else I can fill you in with let me know.

Topic List