Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By sail114, December 9, 2011

Fish, this one's for you...

About 5 months after installing the HPS/brembo combo on my Gen 9, I started getting some heavy squealing when braking. In August (1 year after install), I took apart the brakes to hit both the pads and rotors with heavy sandpaper and regreased shoes and pins. Things were nice and quiet for about a week, then it started up again. I'm wondering if you can refresh my memory on the specific bedding sequence for this combo. I figure I'll give that a shot to see if I can cook the pad material off the rotors and start fresh.

Also, having some trouble getting the rear drums off to check them for wear (over 115k on original pads/drums). Any advice for easing the drums off?

Much appreciated,

~Chris

Hawk's recommended bedding in procedure:

- Make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying moderate pressure (Do not drag brakes)

- Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph (Do not drag brakes)

- Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down before use

I get occasionally, squealing and uneven braking from uneven deposits on the rotor. Sometimes it will go away on its own, sometimes takes some extra work (sanding the rotors helps). Sometimes a harder stops when the brakes are cold helps clean them up a bit. Might be able to just get away with those 2 to 3 hard stops, as the pads and rotors are already "seasoned" from use.

As for the rear drums - couple of tricks. Loosen the lugs a couple of turns, then drive around carefully while pumping the brakes - usually enough torque there to wiggle the drums off (make sure to let them cool off first). Or try hosing down the union between the hub lip and drum opening with some PB Blaster, then using two metric screws threaded into the two holes in the front of the drum face. Don't remember the size off hand - but it is the same as the spare tire hold-down nut. Couple of turns in each will pry the drum off. Make sure the e-brake isn't set when you do this. Watch for debris that gets flung off in the process. Last time I did this - instead of making those incremental popping noises and you can visually see the drum working away from the plate - it just made a loud "pop" noise and nearly jumped off the hub. After working on the brakes - hit the inside of the drum and the flange lip with some sandpaper - then smear on some antiseize to help prevent it sticking next time around. Don't need a lot - just a little bit to prevent direct metal on metal contact.

Thanks for the quick reply. I noticed the Hawks tend to leave uneven pad deposits as well, and I can really feel them pulsing during slow stops in traffic toward the end of my commute. I'm going to head out tomorrow morning and go through the rebedding procedure. Thanks for the info on the rear brakes. I'll pick up some metric screws and try that method, as I'm a little worried about driiving even a short distance with the rear lugs loose. I'll let you know how it goes...

Any recommendations on new shoes for the back if I need 'em?

For shoes, I've stuck with OEM ones. Pretty cheap - think I paid about $26 a set. I replaced them at around 90K miles, but they had a good 2/3 of the friction material left - drums just needed a touchup to refresh their surface. That's with me being pretty hard on the brakes, setting the parking brakes every time I step out of the car, some juvenile fun during wintertime with e-brake initiated feints, etc.

Unless you are trying to pull some e-brake slides and what not all the time - should have no problems with sticking with OEMs - good life, inexpensive, and smooth operation.

ever_green

i had hps on my corolla before i sold them. for about 20,000km and 1.5 years (aggressive driving) the pads still had 10mm left! Also the brembo blank rotors still looked new. nice!

there was lots of impressive torque when you pushed it hard but i found the initial bite, cold operating temperatures, noise and dust unacceptable. another issue was the vibration just before car came to a halt. i recommend the ebc greenstuff with slightly higher max operating temperature and better initial bite instead. If you want slightly improved braking with minimized dust, noise and vibration try the hawks cermaic or akebano proact ceramics. my 2cents.

Topic List