Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2009 Engine Noise

By mpmn05, October 29, 2011 in Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)

My 2009 Corolla CE has 59k kilometres (36k miles) and it started making this noise about 1 week ago. Oil level is fine and its changed as per manual recommendations. The sound does not go away after the engine warms up.

http://s1189.photobu...&current=5m.mp4

Any idea what it might be?

Any idea from what part of the motor the noise originates? Sounded to me as though the idle was pretty high. The sound file you uploaded was a short one, so it may be difficult to diagnose what's wrong.

Any idea from what part of the motor the noise originates? Sounded to me as though the idle was pretty high. The sound file you uploaded was a short one, so it may be difficult to diagnose what's wrong.

I can't pinpoint the exact location where its coming from, it seems to be coming from everywhere in the engine bay is the best way to describe it. The RPM's on start-up are at 1200, its in a small garage so maybe it sounds as if its rev'ng higher?

I've attached a longer video too.

https://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z434/mpmn04/?action=view&current=10m.mp4

Idle should settle to below 1000 after only a minute or so. If the idle stays at 1200, you'll want to have that checked. As for the noise, there are 3 areas I would examine:

1) Belt tensioner. Seems they can make some noise when they've gone bad;

2) Valve train (adjustment / oiling issues);

3) Injectors. They can make some noise.

Hope this helps you a little. Cheers.

Just got back from the dealer. They replaced the water pump and the sound is gone. The service person told me it was the 7th one they have done on a 2009 Corolla.

• 149 posts

Thanks for bringing the post up to date. it's always good to hear what the "fix" was... default_smile

Good to know, as I was contemplating getting another car.

So far, what I've heard, issue-wise with the 10th gen, on both the 1.8L 2ZR-FE and 2.4L 2AZ-FE engines.

- Oil consumption (known on the 2.4L engine)

- Rattle from engine bay after starting after long heat soak, points to VVTI actuator or sprocket problem.

- Water leaks from sunroof drain tubes

- ABS warning light, may be due to a C0200 and C0215 (wheel speed sensors poor connection or damage)

- Turn signals do not cancel, possible faulty switch or computer logic

- Starter sticking, starter wants to continuously turn over, possible starter damage

- Now a possible waterpump issue

Good to know, as I was contemplating getting another car.

So far, what I've heard, issue-wise with the 10th gen, on both the 1.8L 2ZR-FE and 2.4L 2AZ-FE engines.

- Oil consumption (known on the 2.4L engine)

- Rattle from engine bay after starting after long heat soak, points to VVTI actuator or sprocket problem.

- Water leaks from sunroof drain tubes

- ABS warning light, may be due to a C0200 and C0215 (wheel speed sensors poor connection or damage)

- Turn signals do not cancel, possible faulty switch or computer logic

- Starter sticking, starter wants to continuously turn over, possible starter damage

- Now a possible waterpump issue

I had that - Starter sticking, starter wants to continuously turn over, happen once with mine.

I also had the electric steering disengage itself by allowing the steering wheel to freewheel so that I had no control over the steering WHILE I WAS TRAVELLING 80 km/h. It only lasted a half second or so but was quite unnerving. I mentioned to the dealer he blamed it on ice on the rd.! It wasn't cold enough for that.

fish, like you, I'm thinking of getting something else, but Toyota is not gonna make the list....

I had that - Starter sticking, starter wants to continuously turn over, happen once with mine.

I also had the electric steering disengage itself by allowing the steering wheel to freewheel so that I had no control over the steering WHILE I WAS TRAVELLING 80 km/h. It only lasted a half second or so but was quite unnerving. I mentioned to the dealer he blamed it on ice on the rd.! It wasn't cold enough for that.

fish, like you, I'm thinking of getting something else, but Toyota is not gonna make the list....

Wow - that is a little scary. Might have gotten it into a funny mode where it fighting your inputs, along with the vehicle stability control.

I don't see how it completely disconnected, as the steering system is still mechanically connected system, just uses an electric motor, instead of the old hydraulic system, for power assist.

But then again, I have experienced times where the EPS system power assist is very inconsistent - makes it feel like the car is too heavy one second and super light the next.

Wow sorry to but in on this thread but I have a 1993 Corolla and had a 94 Tercel before that. I have had issues as Fish knows but for the most part have been really happy with my old used Toyota's. My wife stop's payments on her Jeep in less than a year and in about two years or so I was thinking of getting a new or slightly used Corolla's 2009 or later would be what I was conteplating since it will be a couple years from now. You both seem to be upset by your Toyota's and I know fish is a mechanic or at least could be one if not and you may not buy another Toyota? Do you think the new Toyota's are not good? Could it just be the 2009 year since that is when they seemed to have the most problems. Maybe they have fixed the problems since then or do you think they just do not make the same quality they used to? I am very curious because I do want a newer car soon and if 2009 model year was bad are there any late models that were good? i.e. 2006,2007 etc? I am sorry you both have had so many problems with you practically new cars. Certainly would sour me off a brand too! Specially one you pay a premium for because you think it is a reliable well made car. I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions on Toyota and what you think their future may be. Thanks!!!

A

Yes, these issues are good to know, and thanks for posting the fix to your problem! My '09 S hasn't reached 25k miles yet, so could not compare to your CE.

Unfortunately, there may be another item to add to the (growing) list of maladies plaguing the 10th Gen 'Rollas, namely the transmission troubles I've experienced this year. About 3 times or so thus far, beginning this spring, and in altogether different circumstances, my trans wants to shift very abruptly. The first time was (gently) coming up to speed after a light turned green, once while using the accelerate button on my cruise control from about 45 mph up to 55 mph, and just last week upon passing a car coming home. Am taking it in to the dealer this coming Monday for a look-see.

Wow sorry to but in on this thread but I have a 1993 Corolla and had a 94 Tercel before that. I have had issues as Fish knows but for the most part have been really happy with my old used Toyota's. My wife stop's payments on her Jeep in less than a year and in about two years or so I was thinking of getting a new or slightly used Corolla's 2009 or later would be what I was conteplating since it will be a couple years from now. You both seem to be upset by your Toyota's and I know fish is a mechanic or at least could be one if not and you may not buy another Toyota? Do you think the new Toyota's are not good? Could it just be the 2009 year since that is when they seemed to have the most problems. Maybe they have fixed the problems since then or do you think they just do not make the same quality they used to? I am very curious because I do want a newer car soon and if 2009 model year was bad are there any late models that were good? i.e. 2006,2007 etc? I am sorry you both have had so many problems with you practically new cars. Certainly would sour me off a brand too! Specially one you pay a premium for because you think it is a reliable well made car. I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions on Toyota and what you think their future may be. Thanks!!!

A

Yes, many cars can have "features" or "issues" - but does that mean you write off the entire line? Hard to say - as it varies from person to person. Granted, there is a lot more electronic control in newer cars - so cars can no longer be fixed with a couple smacks of a hammer. You have to be part electronics technician, part mechanical, and have a good understanding of the entire generation you are looking at. So no - I wouldn't consider the newer cars to be "bad" - just that Toyota shouldn't be making stupid design decisions or letting the electronics get in the way of the operation of the car.

Comparatively speaking - the newer Corollas are still one of the least troublesome/cheap to fix cars out there, in their segment. Two of my biggest peeves on the latest generation of Corolla include EPS system (Electronic Power Steering) - you just need to get used to it, a little weird at first, but you'll figure out the weight and heft of the steering over time. DBW (Drive by Wire) throttle body system - again, takes some getting used to - but eventually, you'll be able to calibrate your foot to get the control you need. Squeaks and rattles are pretty distracting - though many were likely initiated by dealer involvement (removing shipping material and stain protection application). Cost of materials, cost of labor, raising operational costs all eat into the quality of materials that go into cars at a certain price point - so don't expect the Corolla to be a baby Lexus.

The 9th gen Corolla (2003-2008) had its own little features - but still considered by many to be better than the 10th gen. If I had to buy a 9th gen - I'd get a 2004 or 2008 model year for the 1ZZ-FE engined ones. 2004 fixed alot of the issues that showed up in the 2003 model year. 2008 was a carryover model - got the latest revisions that were vetted in the 2007 model year. If you are looking for a little more go - the 2005-2006 Corolla XRS were equipped with the high performance 2ZZ-GE engine and 6-speed manual transaxles. Looks like a regular Corolla, drives like one too - until you spin the engine over 6800 RPM and switch over to the larger cam. Its an experience that needs to be felt first hand.

Personally - when it comes time to retire my 2002 Corolla (just hit 190K miles, on the nose, today) - I'll likely replace it with another Toyota product. Possible soon, with the release of the new RWD Subaru/Toyota venture, as long as they don't go crazy with price and weight.

Yes, these issues are good to know, and thanks for posting the fix to your problem! My '09 S hasn't reached 25k miles yet, so could not compare to your CE.

Unfortunately, there may be another item to add to the (growing) list of maladies plaguing the 10th Gen 'Rollas, namely the transmission troubles I've experienced this year. About 3 times or so thus far, beginning this spring, and in altogether different circumstances, my trans wants to shift very abruptly. The first time was (gently) coming up to speed after a light turned green, once while using the accelerate button on my cruise control from about 45 mph up to 55 mph, and just last week upon passing a car coming home. Am taking it in to the dealer this coming Monday for a look-see.

Tranny problems I can relate to:read ---> https://www.corolland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22177-car-will-not-coast-when-above-60kmhr/

My car's a lemon, and I know it! Mr. Toyoda, head of Toyota, said himself that profits were put ahead of quality when questioned under oath in the U.S. concerning the acceleration and brake issues.

I WANT MY MONEY BACK. TOYOTA !!

I own a 2004 Corolla, it's rock solid and is the BEST car I have ever owned. I should have bought 2 or 3 of them.

mpmn05,

Read your posts. In the last one, where you said, "... Or the computer program needs some refining.", I can tell you the tech who went with me said Japanese electronics are not as sophisticated as one may think. I asked him the percentage of parts problems versus electronic problems. He told me most problems are electronic. Couldn't duplicate my problem, and he did not find anything when he hooked my car up to C&C Toyota's analyzers.

Was just thinking as I read your posts about your CE, that today's automatics have what's known as Adaptive Transmission Control (ATC), which "learns" how a person drives, or some such nonsense. Was thinking this is what is causing my trans to go wonky on me. This August was when my trans shifted abruptly, like a sledge hammer hitting an anvil, while using the resume function of the cruise control. Scared the living you-know-what out of me! Of course, the resume worked flawlessly on Monday. Even so, I still won't want to use it. Could it be that after 12 hours of highway driving, the ATC didn't know what to do? Don't know. Wish I did.

mpmn05,

Read your posts. In the last one, where you said, "... Or the computer program needs some refining.", I can tell you the tech who went with me said Japanese electronics are not as sophisticated as one may think. I asked him the percentage of parts problems versus electronic problems. He told me most problems are electronic. Couldn't duplicate my problem, and he did not find anything when he hooked my car up to C&C Toyota's analyzers.

Was just thinking as I read your posts about your CE, that today's automatics have what's known as Adaptive Transmission Control (ATC), which "learns" how a person drives, or some such nonsense. Was thinking this is what is causing my trans to go wonky on me. This August was when my trans shifted abruptly, like a sledge hammer hitting an anvil, while using the resume function of the cruise control. Scared the living you-know-what out of me! Of course, the resume worked flawlessly on Monday. Even so, I still won't want to use it. Could it be that after 12 hours of highway driving, the ATC didn't know what to do? Don't know. Wish I did.

A

Yes, many cars can have "features" or "issues" - but does that mean you write off the entire line? Hard to say - as it varies from person to person. Granted, there is a lot more electronic control in newer cars - so cars can no longer be fixed with a couple smacks of a hammer. You have to be part electronics technician, part mechanical, and have a good understanding of the entire generation you are looking at. So no - I wouldn't consider the newer cars to be "bad" - just that Toyota shouldn't be making stupid design decisions or letting the electronics get in the way of the operation of the car.

Comparatively speaking - the newer Corollas are still one of the least troublesome/cheap to fix cars out there, in their segment. Two of my biggest peeves on the latest generation of Corolla include EPS system (Electronic Power Steering) - you just need to get used to it, a little weird at first, but you'll figure out the weight and heft of the steering over time. DBW (Drive by Wire) throttle body system - again, takes some getting used to - but eventually, you'll be able to calibrate your foot to get the control you need. Squeaks and rattles are pretty distracting - though many were likely initiated by dealer involvement (removing shipping material and stain protection application). Cost of materials, cost of labor, raising operational costs all eat into the quality of materials that go into cars at a certain price point - so don't expect the Corolla to be a baby Lexus.

The 9th gen Corolla (2003-2008) had its own little features - but still considered by many to be better than the 10th gen. If I had to buy a 9th gen - I'd get a 2004 or 2008 model year for the 1ZZ-FE engined ones. 2004 fixed alot of the issues that showed up in the 2003 model year. 2008 was a carryover model - got the latest revisions that were vetted in the 2007 model year. If you are looking for a little more go - the 2005-2006 Corolla XRS were equipped with the high performance 2ZZ-GE engine and 6-speed manual transaxles. Looks like a regular Corolla, drives like one too - until you spin the engine over 6800 RPM and switch over to the larger cam. Its an experience that needs to be felt first hand.

Personally - when it comes time to retire my 2002 Corolla (just hit 190K miles, on the nose, today) - I'll likely replace it with another Toyota product. Possible soon, with the release of the new RWD Subaru/Toyota venture, as long as they don't go crazy with price and weight.

I agree totally, Fish.

Had the choice between a new 09 and a new 08. Chose the 08 and am very glad since the glitches I had in my 03 were resolved.

There were also neat enhancements to the headlights and the 08 CE included a seat height adjuster.

I haven't been on the forums in a while, but this thread is highly relevant to my vehicle.

My '09 CE 1.8L auto has 141,000km or 87600 miles on it. I am diligent about letting it come off fast idle before driving when started cold, keeping it under 3000rpm until warmed up, smooth on the throttle to make life easy for the tranny etc etc. That said, the car has been put through it's paces. There is NO carbon in that motor, guaranteed. Plenty of WOT in it's lifetime.

I replaced the water pump at just under 100,000km (62k miles), if I recall correctly. I don't have sound on my work computer, but I assume it's the same metallic "scape/light rattle" that my car made before replacing the pump. I am not surprised at all about the one dealer doing 7 water pumps already. No sounds or failure from the new pump after over 40,000km.

Since about 60,000km (37k miles) or so, my car "purrs" at idle, when warm. No, I'm not talking about it running well, it's always done that. When idling in park/neutral OR drive, a soft rattle oscillates (think sine wave pattern) at the rate of about 1.5 seconds between peaks, coming from the back (firewall side) of the cylinder head. It's not loud, but noticeable from the cabin. It has been suggested to me that the VVTi actuators could be causing this, and that it could be proven by using a code reader that can display diagnostic info to view the cam angle data and see if the rattle coincides with change in the angle. I didn't think the VVTi would be modulating cam angle at a constant RPM, but I don't know the workings of the system very well. This sound has been occuring at the same rate/intensity ever since, and has not seemed to affect the operation of the motor whatsoever. It does not run poorly at idle, and has the same response/power as new, if not a bit MORE power than when it was new.

One of these days I will hook up a code reader that can pull cam angle data and actually see if it is a VVTi solenoid. Perhaps it's worth a seperate thread?

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)