Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By crypticlineage, September 30, 2011

I have a 2000 Corolla VE Automatic Transmission. This morning, the car wouldn't crank. The engine made spinning sound for a split second and then high speed clicking sound started. If I wait a few minutes and retry, same thing happens. If I try continue trying, I hear only clicking sound.

The battery terminals didn't look bad, although it had been more than 8 months since I had cleaned them, so I went ahead and used wire brush to get all the gunk out. Reinstalled terminal cables, still no dice. Exact same problem.

I am now waiting for a friend to come by and give me a jump, and if that works, will take it to Autozone to check the battery health. If it's not the battery, than how do I go about troubleshooting? Could it be the starter? If yes, can starter be rebuilt? I was reading on the forum, and found some folks talking about some rebuilding kit for the starters.

Thanks guys

V

Update: The jump start solved the problem. The engine cranked right away. I ran it for 5 minutes and then tried restarting again after 15 minutes. No problem. Is this just an intermittent problem due to heat or rain we had last night? Do I need to go check the battery out

I have a 2000 Corolla VE Automatic Transmission. This morning, the car wouldn't crank. The engine made spinning sound for a split second and then high speed clicking sound started. If I wait a few minutes and retry, same thing happens. If I try continue trying, I hear only clicking sound.

The battery terminals didn't look bad, although it had been more than 8 months since I had cleaned them, so I went ahead and used wire brush to get all the gunk out. Reinstalled terminal cables, still no dice. Exact same problem.

I am now waiting for a friend to come by and give me a jump, and if that works, will take it to Autozone to check the battery health. If it's not the battery, than how do I go about troubleshooting? Could it be the starter? If yes, can starter be rebuilt? I was reading on the forum, and found some folks talking about some rebuilding kit for the starters.

Thanks guys

V

Update: The jump start solved the problem. The engine cranked right away. I ran it for 5 minutes and then tried restarting again after 15 minutes. No problem. Is this just an intermittent problem due to heat or rain we had last night? Do I need to go check the battery out

Unless you left the lights on, you should have the battery, alternator, and serpentine belt checked. Heat and rain don't normally do that.

Now, cleaning the terminals may have corrected the cause of a gradual rundown, but you might want to play it safe.

• 149 posts

How old is your battery? I'd get a new one if it's more than 5 yrs old. If your car won't start and a jump does the trick. The only 2 things that you eliminated are the battery terminal connections and the battery. You found your problem.

(Unless of course you had left the lights on or something like that to run the battery down)

I think it is the battery because the car had trouble starting in the morning. The engine was lazy for first few revolutions until it finally kicked in fully. I will take it to Autozone today to get the battery replaced. I don't think it's been 5 years, but it has definitely been at least a couple of years. Perhaps my battery is still under warranty. Dont' know.

What about alternator? Does Autozone check those for free as well?

Thanks

V

It was indeed the battery. The battery costs have gone up so much. A duralast batt with 2 year replacement warranty was $97 plus tax.

The alternator turned out ok after testing.

Bad_dude

I got a costco battery with 3 year replacement for $67. There was no light on your dash to tell you it was the battery or alternator?

Bad_dude: I wish I had known about the low prices. We don't have Costco, but do have Sams club. I bet they have cheaper batteries too. Anyway. Too late now.

Bad_dude: I wish I had known about the low prices. We don't have Costco, but do have Sams club. I bet they have cheaper batteries too. Anyway. Too late now.
I get my batteries from Walmart and they have always been a deal, but I go for the most expensive one they have. About 65 installed in an hour 5 years ago and still going strong.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)