Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2008 Corolla - Water In Spare Tire Well

By BobLevine, September 30, 2011

Over the past few years, I would at times notice some water accumulation in the spare tire well of my 2008 CE.

Car was bought new by me and never was in a crash.

I have removed the donut spare several times, thoroughly dried the well and coated the bottom with industrial silicone spray to prevent rust. No rust seen.

I found 2 removable rubber plugs on the bottom of the spare tire well. Removing these lets water drain.

The plugs are easily removed. Should I simply take them off to insure that any water drains out?

Possibly rain or car wash water goes along the trunk ridges exiting behind the bumper cover and finding its way into the spare tire well.

Is this common in Gen 9 Corollas? If not, what would be the best way to correct it? There are seams covered with body sealer in the well.

I know nothing is coming in at the top because I have a rubber trunk mat with lips all over the trunk and there's no water there. The inside trim panels are never wet.

Thanks.

Bob

Hows the trunk gasket, mine got dinged up somehow (wife isn't telling)and it now lets water in, but only when there is a good storm.

• 149 posts

A body shop would find that leak quickly. Water in the body panels is a recipe for disaster down the line, especially if you live in the rust belt where salt is used on the road.

Gaskets seem OK.

Removed plugs for a test and water drained out after wash and rain.

I live in North Carolina. Very little salt used.

Anyone else seen this in a Gen 9?

Thanks for your help.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)